USB hub to USB hub interconnection

Ryan_Shephard

Joined May 9, 2009
I may be stompping over old material here.... (Please link relevant info if necessary, as did not find...)
Was wondering if it is possible (sufficient ampacity, signal issues, etc.) to run a 4 port USB hub upstream from a 7 port USB hub? (If the 4 port need be externally powered to make this work, please let me know).

thanks

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
If I get the question right you want to plug in the 4 port hub into a 7 port hub?
From Wikipedia: "The USB specification requires that bus-powered hubs may not be connected in series to other bus-powered hubs."

So question is, is your 7 port hub self-powered or bus-powered. If it's bus-powered depending on what you connect you will soon run into problems, as the bus won't be able to supply more than 500mA (in general).

With bus-powered hubs I often had already problems connecting only three devices to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub

Ryan_Shephard

Joined May 9, 2009
Both the 7 port, and 4 port hubs would be externally powered.
The 7 port at 3.5A, and the 4 port at 2A (Industrial DIN rail units).

So the downstream power drain issue would not be a problem.
My main concern in correct, consistant communication. (AKA, will the downstream hub maintain it's devices' IDs through the 7 port, or will this become a nightmare?)

Expanding on this note, could there be several externally powered 4 port hubs downstream of said 7 port? And would they remain reliable?
Routing this way would allow use of the server's limited USB ports (2), and reduce downstream wiring clutter and conduit size requirements.