USB Host - Will/Should this work?

Crispin

Joined Jul 4, 2011
Hi Folks,

I have a camera (TAU2) which talks serial over USB. I have all the details and a sample windows app which works.
The camera uses a silicon lab cp210x to talk to USB to PC.

I need to change settings on camera in the field and don't want to / can't have a laptop with me. So, I want to do it with a Arduino / Fez etc which has a USB host.

So, will, or should, the following work with this: http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/fez-cerbuino-bee.html

I don't understand how the Fez will have the correct drivers for talking to the cp210x or are drivers not needed in an application like this?

I'll accept a "yes it should" as an answer and willing to give it a try. If it is an emphatic "no" then I'll not bother.

TIA

Crispin

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I would think you could use the cerbuino, and get the drivers from here. Or another solution might be to just not connect the cp210x and use the UART interface available on any microcontroller (including the ones used for the Arduino) and set it that way. Either way should work.

Crispin

Joined Jul 4, 2011
Thanks, I ended up buying one and will play over the weekend.

I can't get access to the uart as I don't have the right adapter. While the adapter costs $30, it'll cost over a hundred by the time I get it with shipping and import duty :(

This way is a cheap way to tinker. The long term option will be direct to the uart as I'll then I'll be able to simply add the xbee to it.

Thanks for tip, will see how I fair over the weekend.

Cheers,
Crispin

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
It has hosting capabilities so it will work. I've implemented canons earlier protocols on an 8051 with separate host ic (max3421). No file transfer, just commands. You don't need drivers, nor a stack with a single device.

Crispin

Joined Jul 4, 2011
It has hosting capabilities so it will work. I've implemented canons earlier protocols on an 8051 with separate host ic (max3421). No file transfer, just commands. You don't need drivers, nor a stack with a single device.
Thanks -

I'm still guessing here (don't have the thing yet) but I assume I am being too simplistic when I think it'll be as easy as "myComPort.writeln("Hello"); and it'll send that to the USB.

Writing to uart on arduino and fez etc is basically that but that is all they are meant to do. I am sure there must be something in between my code (writeln) and the USB hosting functionality.

Still RTFMing and scouring the 'net reading what I can. Will get there :D