USB charging semantics

axeman22

Joined Jun 8, 2009
something that's on my electronic mind, bugging me.. I'm hoping you guys might be able to shed some light..

USB - my favourite..

USB charging actually. so the USB spec initially allows devices to pull 100mA - and do data transfer at the same time. Not enough power for most any device today - especially smart phones. so with a revision to the spec devices when they connect up look for les than 200Ohms between the data wires, if the case - for example short, then they will pull up to 5000mA - all good..

so here;s what I want to do.. take a 12Vdc car battery - nice clean 12V .. put that into a 7905 reg (to-220), with required external caps as per the 7905 data sheet.. , short the two data wires - and then allow the phone to pull 500mA etc.. - sound simple sight - /? it does't work…..!!!!! phone goes all weird etc etc..

can anyone tell me what is going on - what am I doing wrong..? my understanding is that the phone has internal charging circuits etc.. so just putting a nice clean 5Vdc into it should be all that is needed..?