usb charger for g1

lokeycmos

Joined Apr 3, 2009

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just be aware that this is a relatively low power electrical socket. It is 5V, and the fuse you may blow is in your motherboard, a bad place to blow anything. My niece had something similar happen in her MB because of an Ipod, I wound up getting an external card, which I highly recommend you doing for this project. You can get USB ports that fit in a 3½" bay (and that have all sorts of goodies like SD/MD memory card slots besides), and use the external USB interface to link to it.

lokeycmos

Joined Apr 3, 2009
sorry, i didnt elaborate. when i said usb charger i meant charging the android through its usb port not a computers usb port.

lokeycmos

Joined Apr 3, 2009
the only way to charge the g1 is through its usb port. im going to modify a car charger from another phone that matches the voltage and current ratings. so im basically wondering if all i have todo is connect the regulated output to pins 1 and 4 or do i need anything with the data pins(2 and 3).

Søren

Joined Sep 2, 2006
Hi,

Pins 1 and 4 should be enough, unless there is some kind of signalling "charging" via the data pins (I find that unlikely, but I don't know anything about the g1 you have).

djb

Joined May 17, 2008
usb ports and chargers must have the 500mA current limit while regulates 5V. you need a circuit to do this. LM317 is adjustable voltage regulator, but you can find a current limiting application in it's datasheet together with voltage regulation using 1 extra tranzistor only. if you manage to do this, or another solution of power supply 5V with current limiting @ 500mA, then you have to connect the usb pinouts correctly and that's it.