Urgent:Protecting the circuit during mosfet failure

magantiamala

Joined May 8, 2012
Hello , I have attached my circuit diagram above on which i am working, i need your help very urgently..In my circuit my mosfet will fail when there is some high voltage,current or temperature etc..

When my mosfet fails the whole circuit gets damged i need some suggestions to protect my circuit even when my mosfet fails..the current flows normally in the circuit and i can replace my new mosfet by taking out the damaged mosfet.

Could anyone provide me some ideas what would be best to protect my circuit from damaging during mosfet failure.

Attachments

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It would make more sense to fix the problem that is causing the mosfet failure, wouldn't it? Could you post your circuit in another form? Many people won't open a zip file they don't know.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I believe he's testing MOSFETs and blowing them up on purpose. That means everything else needs to be rated beyond what the MOSFET can take OR at least tolerant of the MOSFET failing to a short. The latter is what fuses are for.

Engr

Joined Mar 17, 2010
I think what wayneh mentioned above is the avalanche spec of the MOSFET. The most simplest way to explain this spec is the capability of the MOSFET to absorb the stored energy transferred by the inductor. This test is most of the times called UIL Test.

If what I mentioned is right I can say that this test is a destructive test for a MOSFET and shortbus is correct, it would make more sense to fix the problem that causes the MOSFET to fail. If UIL Test is the test that you are doing for this circuit I can give you some hints on what components to check. Just let me know if the circuit is for the UIL Test.