urgent help plz

MAZAR SCIENTIST

Joined May 8, 2008
Hy I'm Mohamed and I'm studying electronics engineering and i wanna do my project after 2 years as a Robot plz.
i wanna members here tell me what i should read and do to reach that thing
should i begin firstly with micro controlling OR WAT I SHOULD READ AND LEARN BEFORE DOING THAT?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Hy I'm Mohamed and I'm studying electronics engineering and i wanna do my project after 2 years as a Robot plz.
i wanna members here tell me what i should read and do to reach that thing
should i begin firstly with micro controlling OR WAT I SHOULD READ AND LEARN BEFORE DOING THAT?
Personally, i think you have to learn programming microprocessors as to know what they are able to do. Then study about various kinds of sensors which can be used for the robot. Finally, you should learn some mechanisms the robots use to move and combine your knowledge about microcontrollers and sensors to make your project.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Form follows function. You'll need to decide what you want your robot does before putting anything down on paper.

Caveman

Joined Apr 15, 2008
How much time do you have? I'm a big believer of a bunch of baby steps on stuff like this. You can get help by reading sources about other peoples robots (and you should), but getting hands on experience is really good for your engineering education.

First you need to play with a microcontroller enough to understand how to get it working at a very basic level, like blinking an led. Then you need to learn how to run a motor with it. This will require some external circuitry as well. After this, you will know what you can and cannot easily do, so you start to put together the plan for the full robot.

Or...you could just try to jump in the deep end and build it from scratch. It probably won't work at first (if ever) and will be frustrating to try to debug (if possible at all).

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
You might also want to spend a couple days studying spiders, how they move, and how they hold their prey. Pay special attention to legs, chelicerae, and pedipalps. Videos of movement will help a lot. Watching actual spiders will help even more.

Plan to spend either lots of money or lots of machine-shop time.

I hope you get a lot further along with your spider-bot than I did with mine. My prototype was made from wood, due to easier shaping of the joints. Darn thing almost walked. Almost.:rolleyes:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The funny thing is, a lot of this work has been done, in the form of toys! My boy has several IR RC toys based on insects and arachnid. Another source to look toward for inspiration.

MAZAR SCIENTIST

Joined May 8, 2008
thx i will follow that in the vacation and i hope u cud help me with the name of books and references
i have an digital circuits1 exam the day after tommorow
should i read about artificial intelligence ?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I was Googling (is that a proper verb these days?) to see if
Heiserman's Building Your Own Working Robot (Tab Books, 1977) is still available. It is out of print, but used copies are available. While searching, I ran across this: Insectronics: Build Your Own Walking Robot by Karl Williams ISBN: 0071412417

logicmind

Joined May 20, 2008
that sounds interesting, all i know so far in my studies is about logic gates, amplifiers, etc. I don't know much about microprocessor or how to write a program and execute it.