Urgent!! About power supply

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I have moved this post into the homework section as it is apparently a class assignment.

Before we provide you with answer, you would do well to take a stab at the answer yourself. Afterwards the members will be more than happy to help correct any weakness you may have in your explanation.

hgmjr

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Hi hgmjr,

I notice the post is closed ....was connie happy with the outcome or did they no longer need help?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Since they were the same, one was close and one stayed open, both being moved to the homework area. It has to do with the forum rules.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Greetings tnk,

As Bill has indicated, the moderators purge the forum of duplicate posts as rapidly as possible to prevent clutter and confusion. That is why the other post was locked.

hgmjr

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
There are 5 components inside the box. Some have obvious functions - it's the overall function that makes the regulator work.

If you can describe how each one works, you may discover how they all work together.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I think the zener is probably drawn correctly for this circuit design. I believe it's purpose is for temperature stability to compensate for the base-emitter voltage change of -2.5mV per deg C in the feedback control transistor.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Greetings connie,

I would first apologize for the comments of those members who have belittled your request for assistance. It is easy for those of us who eat, sleep, and drink this stuff to state that the operation of the circuit in question is obvious. However, it is not so obvious to those who are encountering such a circuit for the first time.

I would recommend as have others that you take each of the elements contained in the dashed area and recall what you have learned about that element and consider how it might contribute to the overall behavior of the circuit.

The circuit elements to which I refer are:
  1. The potentiometer
  2. The zener diode
  3. The NPN transistor
One important hint is that the circuit in the dashed block takes a portion of the output voltage and feeds it back to the remaining portion of the voltage regulating circuit in order to enhance the performance of the regulator. Without this feedback, the output voltage would be prone to change as the current drawn by the load changed.

I too believe that the zener diode was inadvertantly drawn backward.

hgmjr

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Hello hgmjr, connie & other interested folk,

Apologies from me also to connie if I appear to have implied the understanding of the circuit is in any way simple or obvious. I hope my sole intention was to challenge connie to make an attempt at stating what they thought about how they would "solve the problem" by explaining the operation of the sub-circuit.

I must admit when I first laid eyes on the diagram, I thought the indicated zener orientation was the wrong way around and that in its current form, the circuit would not function as intended.

In fact, I'm of the opinion that the analysis and understanding of the circuit operation is quite subtle and ingenious - and worthy of some consideration.

If one takes the time to draw the circuit and do a careful analysis, making some reasonable assumptions - the entire circuit and not just the feeedback part - it becomes much clearer that it does work and works quite nicely.

If you "build" a simulation of this circuit it also provides several valuable insights.

In my opinion this is not a trivial question that connie was asked.

Cheers. :)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Apologies to you tnk. My comments were not directed at you. Quite the contrary. I believe your measured comments were enlightening to the OP without revealing more than a hint at a path to a solution.

Well Done,
hgmjr