Upgrade of Existing Aircraft LED Lighting Assembly

mizzu

Joined Apr 28, 2009
First I am impressed by the amount of knowledge on these forums.

We presently have high intensity pulsed LED arrays in our products that are in need of circuitry which monitors light output.

The LEDs in one instance, are mounted about a circumference of 1.5" "wafers" in 3 strings of 8. The light output is focused by an inverted cone reflector in the center. In the other application, they are mounted in 6 strings of 8 on a flat rectangular 1.5 X 3" card with no reflector.

The LEDs in use are Lumiled rebels that are pulsed @ 55 flashes per minute at 350 ma. The led's drop appx 3.2 volts each.

I am turning over in my mind what the ideal circuitry upgrades would be to automatically monitor individual strings for uniform light output and to generate an error signal in the event of imbalance.

Major design limitations are space and temperature extremes.

Any assistance is appreciated.

mizzu

Joined Apr 28, 2009
Here is a schematic of the power supply. The LED board consist of 6 strings of 8 in the strobe configuration and 3 strings of 8 in the constant on configuration. The pic 12f675 is programmed to allow the strapping of input jumpers on power connector to determine operation.

Attachments