Up for Review: Measuring Distance with a Sonar Sensor on an Arduino

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I got some thoughts when I read this article:

We need the soldering and soldering iron to solder wires to the sensor.
Should it be solder, not soldering?
Once everything is soldered and in place, the code below will have to be uploaded to the Arduino via their IDE, and it will also be connected with a USB Type B.
Via the IDE? I'd rephrase that into two sentences. Something in the line of: "Once everything is soldered in place, you'll need to upload the code to the microcontroller. Before uploading, make sure the Arduino is connected to your computer."
V in of +5 Volts
To, not of? (Side note, should volts in this setting start with capital V?)
...any residue may remain from the solder
... any residue that may remain from the solder.
To check for any shorts then use the multimeter and check the resistance between these three pins.
Is it appropriate with then here?
Between then GND and the +5 V there should be OL or infinite resistance and there should also be infinite resistance between GND and +5V.
Strange sentence...?
If you check with the multimeter for an open or if you check continuity, then it should not come up.
I think this is a strange sentence too...
For this specific sonar, the range is 20 feet, so it will only be able to read up to 20 feet.
Redundant?

I might be wrong in some places...

The author would profit to use Macs inbuilt screen recorder, instead of moving the camera back and forth, which I believe is a cellphone. (I'll just assume that Mac has a screen recorder...)

The source code could use some more comments.

Otherwise I think it is a short and to the point article.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have fixed them. I added some comment to the code to help out the reader. I am new to OS X, which recorder are you referring to? In this case I wanted to show the serial monitor in the screen and show how placing my hand over the sensor changed the distance read.

I got some thoughts when I read this article:

Should it be solder, not soldering?

Via the IDE? I'd rephrase that into two sentences. Something in the line of: "Once everything is soldered in place, you'll need to upload the code to the microcontroller. Before uploading, make sure the Arduino is connected to your computer."

To, not of? (Side note, should volts in this setting start with capital V?)

... any residue that may remain from the solder.

Is it appropriate with then here?

Strange sentence...?

I think this is a strange sentence too...

Redundant?

I might be wrong in some places...

The author would profit to use Macs inbuilt screen recorder, instead of moving the camera back and forth, which I believe is a cellphone. (I'll just assume that Mac has a screen recorder...)

The source code could use some more comments.

Otherwise I think it is a short and to the point article.