up/down counter with 16F84A

raffter

Joined Feb 28, 2008
Hello all,

this is my first post ..so be gentle :D

Anyone can link/point me out to an up/down 2(or 3 digit) 7 segment LED counter using 16F84??

All I could see are BCD based...

I have been "googling" around but to no avail... im going to use it to count people passing on a door...

thanks!!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Your post is hard to understand. If you are using the PIC to do the counting, then it's just a matter of programming to get the count to the display, plus the display drivers.

raffter

Joined Feb 28, 2008
What is hard to understand??

isnt "7-segment up/down counter using 16F84" hard to understand??

and do you assume ALL PEOPLE know about PIC(or any other) progamming??

IF I know HOW to make my own code(w/c I don not), would I bother asking such a question here??

tsk

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
An up/down counter is the description of a logic ic, like the CD4029. For a people counter, a detector input to a chain of these ic's would give a total of people passing the detector, plus a bit of additional logic would enable the count to increase for people passing in one direction, and decrease for those passing in the other.

Leading the counter outputs to display drivers like CD4513's would give a continuous indication of the total count. The closest thing to a "7 segment up/down counter" is a series of Texas Instrument devices that had the counter, latch, and display driver in the same package with the 7 segment display. I seem to recall TL031 as one device number. They were quite expensive - on the order of $30 each.

The PIC may be programmed to do the same thing, using internal registers to hold the count and similar display drivers to show it.

We are willing to lend advice, but it is up to you to learn enough about the project to be able to make a selection of hardware, determine how to interface it with the uP, and write the code to accomplish the task. We would require a schematic of the external circuitry and the program listing in order to help. Otherwise, we are being tasked with designing and coding it for you. That's not a reasonable request.

raffter

Joined Feb 28, 2008
I did not say I wanted anyone to make me a code for that... was only inquiring if ANYONE knows such links or could direct me to one....

this is the thing I hate most, my question (for a link, if there was) is just wasted away to some UNusefull arguements..to say the least..:(

anyways, thanks for the kind reply

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
What you wrote is at best an illiterate scrawl. I will make a guess.

You want to count people, you want it displayed. Your specifics seem to be you want to use a PIC 16F84 and a seven segment display.

There may actually be a library that does all the dirty work for the PIC. Here is some information on it with diagram and some code.

Oh wait, you wanted to get pissy with people for trying to understand what you wanted. You got pissy because you wrote an illiterate post and people did try and understand it. So go google it up yourself.

People were being gentle with you until you got pissy with them.

What is hard to understand??

isnt "7-segment up/down counter using 16F84" hard to understand??

and do you assume ALL PEOPLE know about PIC(or any other) progamming??

IF I know HOW to make my own code(w/c I don not), would I bother asking such a question here??

tsk

raffter

Joined Feb 28, 2008
What you wrote is at best an illiterate scrawl. I will make a guess.

You want to count people, you want it displayed. Your specifics seem to be you want to use a PIC 16F84 and a seven segment display.

There may actually be a library that does all the dirty work for the PIC. Here is some information on it with diagram and some code.

Oh wait, you wanted to get pissy with people for trying to understand what you wanted. You got pissy because you wrote an illiterate post and people did try and understand it. So go google it up yourself.

People were being gentle with you until you got pissy with them.

huh??? whazzat?? :eek: need I REstate it again so you could uderstand also??