Unwanted offset in output of op-amp

Lambda

Joined Feb 28, 2011
This amplifier I'm working on is designed to work with small signals, less than 10mV. The TLO82 chip is being powered with ±10v. The problem I have is DC offset in the output. What an AC signal input, the output is only being driven positive, no part of the waveform crosses ground.
With gain at 38db, the offset is 0.4 volts. The voltage of the output signal (DC component removed) is 0.4 volts. The signal and offset aren't constantly the same, as at 44db, the offset is 1 volt and signal is 0.8 volts. Input is 1khz, 5mV. Offset seems constant regardless of frequency.
I can get a proper AC signal out only if I set the offset of the input signal to -5mV. This value doesn't change no matter what the input level is.
Basically, the op-amp is acing like the input is offset 5mV positive when it's not, and the only way to counter it is to set the offset negative. What's going on here?
This is the relevant part of my schematic:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
5mv is within the specs of the chip. You can use a TL081 chip to get offset adjustment pins available or build an external offset adjustment circuit.

Attachments

Lambda

Joined Feb 28, 2011
Oh, it was the chip. I probably should have read that datasheet a bit more carefully. OK then, I'll just use TL081 chips instead of TL082s. No big deal.
Thanks.

Lambda

Joined Feb 28, 2011
Jim, you're a lifesaver. I just added the 0.47uf cap into my current circuit, and it works great. Thanks, man.