Unsoldering Broken Component legs from PCB

RB2004

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Hi, got a power board from a dell laptop, which has a case of a broken DC connector, as well as a number of broken pins on the connector

Quite bad actually, board is a bit burnt so may possibly require a new board.

Ive removed 4 of the component legs, out of 7 lol... but cant remove the last few they are being rather stubborn.

Tried applying heat, you can see the solder melting around it but they seem stuck and I do not want to apply too much force.

Does anybody have any advice?

Initially I tried an 18watt iron, then a 30watt iron, even a butane iron on a low to medium setting, just is not budging.

Thanks in advance.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Desoldering braid helps a lot, it soaks up almost all of the solder. On a few connectors there are little metal tabs, which get folded over before soldering to help the part stay in place, but make removal more of a pain.

RB2004

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Hi thank you for quick response.

Most of the solder already seems to be gone, but will try braid anyway.

Ironically the pins are already half way trough the pcb on some of them.. Just seems to be the last little bit that is stuck.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Solder braid does work wonders. It can also help to apply some 63/37 or even 50/50 solder, as the lead-free solder they are using nowadays has a much higher melting temp. Adding some lead in there makes the melting point much lower, thus easier to remove.

I cover the joint top and bottom of the pcb with plenty of solder. This ensures heat gets right through the pcb and melts on both sides and makes it easier to remove.

Sounds a bit counter intuitive adding solder but it works for me.