Unlock car via cellphone?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
If you lock your keys In the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end.
Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you.
I thought keyless remotes sent RF signals, not sound. Is this possible?

ETA: Never mind; SNOPES says FALSE.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
First the RF from the remote at home would have to somehow magically modulate the cellphone signal to transmit it, and then the receiving cellphone would somehow receive that signal and magically convert it back to the RF frequency the car needs. That's just plain impossible without specially designed cellphones. :rolleyes:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I knew it wasn't logical, but I got an email from someone who said they tried it and it worked. I suspect what happened is that they tried it, but the remote was still within RF range of the car; that's the SNOPES explanation of why so many people think it works.

Thanks.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
There's a new u-tube video where someone opens a car door with a potato.Same deal as the tennis ball version, cut a hole in it and put it against the lock.
At the end of the video he tells the viewer that it's all a hoax and not to believe a video just because it's on u-tube.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
There's a new u-tube video where someone opens a car door with a potato.Same deal as the tennis ball version, cut a hole in it and put it against the lock.
At the end of the video he tells the viewer that it's all a hoax and not to believe a video just because it's on u-tube.
The problem is, there's 90 other videos claiming it is true, and most don't see that single video debunking them. Same goes for over unity and other bad physics, such as measuring voltage only, and not current.