University fees going up

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Tough times for us students.

University fees in the UK are set to go up by 4x, from around £3k a year to £12k a year!! That's not including accommodation, materials, food etc. Us students are going to have so much debt when we come out. This is after the education budget will be slashed by 3x. I guess the additional £3k is to prevent future cuts from causing more problems.

I personally understand that cuts need to be made but seriously education is one of the last things that should go, because if the UK is to remain competitive as a "service economy" (basically we don't make anything any more, we only design it/teach it/think about it) we need good education. It will only turn out worse in the end, I think.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The problem is that the citizens are running out of money for the government to spend. Same issue in the USA. Some of our tuitions exceed $100K per year.

John

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
The problem is that the citizens are running out of money for the government to spend. Same issue in the USA. Some of our tuitions exceed $100K per year.

John
I have heard that, but at least a good portion of your education is privately funded, most of ours here is government supported/publicly funded.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It would have made more sense to charge people extra for degrees like media studies, art history, pschology, etc but not to increase the fees for degrees the country actually needs.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It was partly in jest, but someone must know how many new doctors are needed every year and how many art historians.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not really, if there is a shortage of critical professions it is obvious, such as nursing, engineers, people who support infrastructure. Educational debt never goes away, it is exempt from bankruptcy last I heard in the USA. If there is a need for certain professions it beats outsourcing or importing foreign talent cold, as such is good for the home country.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Right! BUT, only if I am the one who decides what is needed most. ;)

That is an impossible solution.

John
It's not impossible. It depends on whether you can apply it to be useful.

Practical uses for Art History: it's an interesting study but in general doesn't build trains, cars, buildings etc.

Practical uses for Electronics, Engineering, etc.: it's an interesting study AND it builds trains, cars, buildings etc.

I think that the UK won't be manufacturing anything before long. That's all gone to Asia, as will the few remaining things we still manufacture. But I don't really have a problem with that, as the designer usually makes the most money, and that's what the US/UK/etc. do.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It was partly in jest, but someone must know how many new doctors are needed every year and how many art historians.
The problem in the US gets to distribution courses. While chemistry and physics may be required for pre-meds, so is black history or black whatever, and so forth. American history may be dropped, but there is plenty of socially mandated other stuff to take up lots of credit hours.

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
History Is being re-written In U.S.,most school books are
printed In Texas.There Is a committee that approves the
school books for the entire country.People that have old
books and know history disagree with the new history books
going out to schools.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
History books have always covered the highlights. You'll find missing details in every history book.

I don't believe the books are printed in Texas, however, the Texas School Board approves the purchases of school books for the Texas students. If the content doesn't pass the School Board's criteria, no sale.

The publisher could hold the line ... and lose the sale, or they could include the criteria that the Texas School Board wanted ... and it's important to note, the Texas School Board won't write the stuff, they want things mentioned that isn't mentioned in other history books.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Its seem every state has no such a board,there was alot publicity
waiting for the Texas board desision for the new school year.
A lot of pundits was talking about re-writing history that why I made the post.
I think they were worried about the founding fathers of the nation.
Some think about the political climate we are In.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Our school board is a piece of work. They wanted to exclude Thomas Jefferson because he coined the phrase Separation of Church and State. For all I know they got their wish.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Transcript of President Jefferson's letter ...
Mr. President

To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. [Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from prescribing even those occasional performances of devotion, practiced indeed by the Executive of another nation as the legal head of its church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect.] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association assurances of my high respect & esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson
Jan.1.1802.
The "Seperation between Church and State" was about religious freedom. It's amazing how things get twisted after 220 years.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Its seem every state has no such a board,there was alot publicity
waiting for the Texas board desision for the new school year.
There is a State Board of Education in every state. Here's your board ... http://www.flboe.org/

Texas is a big buyer ... and as a client, the Education Board was doing what they thought was due dilligence. The seller, like all sellers, will do what they need to do to sell.

Unfortunately, like all things ... politics muck things up. One can not even cover the historical highlights of 220 years of Constitutional Existance without excluding something.

Last edited: