understanding DS3232 alarm output

axeman22

Joined Jun 8, 2009
Hi All..

I'm looking to make a PICAXE circuit which operates at a given time. Outside of those times I would like to make the whole circuit consume as little power as possible. It will have a DS3232 IC which I'm reasonably familiar with.

Looking at the DS3232 Datasheet it looks as though it has an internal alarm and when that value is true it pull a pin low or high etc.. I'm just seeking a bit of clarification on that!

Here is the text from the DS - would appreciate a more laymens definition on what is actually means. I'm not asking how to set the alarm etc, I can do that ok.. just what it will look like if I put a CRO in the pin in question etc.

When the RTC register values match alarm register set- tings, the corresponding Alarm Flag ‘A1F’ or ‘A2F’ bit is set to logic 1. If the corresponding Alarm Interrupt Enable ‘A1IE’ or ‘A2IE’ is also set to logic 1 and the INTCN bit is set to logic 1, the alarm condition activates the INT/SQW signal. The match is tested on the once- per-second update of the time and date registers