Unbelievable AC motor problems........

SarajevoTA

Joined Aug 7, 2021
I have an old single phase AC motor that runs on 110 volts. It has six leads coming from the motor. Two of the leads are in their own bundle and the other four leads are in another bundle. I was able to measure zero ohms coming from the two leads in the one bundle. The other four leads in the other bundle have been ohmed as well. Two of the leads show 20 ohms between each other and the other two leads in the bundle the same.

My overall question is how to wire this up with a capacitor in parallel to the start winding if I do not know which are the run and which are the start windings? Pics attached.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I think that the one photo shows that there is a tag on the side of the motor. That tag contains valuable information about the motor. This will include the speed, running current, RPM , and power rating.AND it seems that most motor manufacturers put a label in the cover of the connection box that shows the hookup for each direction. If you can post a readable photo of that tag that will probably be veryu seful.
Now for my questions: Does the motor have a starter switch? Next, what sort of ohm meter did you use to measure the resistance? I am asking that because some meters can not show the difference between 2 ohms and zero ohms.
Ws the motor removed fromuse because of some failure? Or was it just in stock with no history available? And it looks like there is a capacitor involved, what is the rating of that capacitor. (volts and microfarads)?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
My guess now is that the motor had been in use and somebody disconnected the wires and made the setup neater without any understanding that the way the wires get connected mtters, or else just never thought about that.