Un-similar timing?

Slamma0009

Joined Jun 29, 2011
First off I'd like to say this is my first post here, and that I'm very new to electronics. I've only made one "circuit" (I use the term for my last project loosely) involving 2 resistors, a fan, and an led... I am a novice when it comes to electronics, so sorry for any stupidity that may radiate from my topics.

Now on to my project. I am currently building a unique incense burner that I wont go into too much detail about, but for this I need to run a certain time cycle to open and close vents. I'm going to have a set of small vents, and for around 30-45 seconds they will be closed, but then for .5 seconds to 1 second (dont know the exact time) a servo motor will be turned on opening them, then wait 15-30 seconds, then again .5 seconds to 1 second to close it, repeat.
So the cycle is:
30-45 seconds off
0.5-1 second on
15-30 seconds off
0.5-1 second on opposite way

I've looked into the 555 timer, but I think this is not the answer to my prayers, I know I could also use the ever so popular Arduino to do this fast, but I have quite a few friends who would love to buy this if burner if it works, and trying to sell it with a $30 Arduino board in each burner wont work. So my question is what do I do to make this work? Would I have to use some sort of IC, if so I have a lot more questions considering I've never used anything other then batteries, resistors, and led's, I know nothing of how anything else works :confused:

Thanks in advance!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Perhaps look into using a PIC microcontroller, like the PIC12F or PIC10F series as a small timer; they can be quite inexpensive (well under $1/ea USD). PICAXE uC's are a bit more, and far less of a selection available, but are easily programmed in a version of the BASIC language. By using a uC, you will not need many other components, and your times can be controlled pretty accurately (better than 1% easily).

If you're using servo motors, a PIC could generate the servo signal pretty accurately.

Slamma0009

Joined Jun 29, 2011
Perhaps look into using a PIC microcontroller, like the PIC12F or PIC10F series as a small timer; they can be quite inexpensive (well under $1/ea USD). PICAXE uC's are a bit more, and far less of a selection available, but are easily programmed in a version of the BASIC language. By using a uC, you will not need many other components, and your times can be controlled pretty accurately (better than 1% easily).

If you're using servo motors, a PIC could generate the servo signal pretty accurately.

Thanks man, this may work, where can I find some nice info on PICAXE uC? I assume this would be rather inexpensive as well (under $5) so I'm will to use the uC because of the basic language (I'm a programmer). I'd just like a web page or something where I can learn how to use these and how they work. A quick search on youtube and google returned nothing special unfortunately.

Edit: Also yes I'm going to use a small servo to control the opening and closing of the vent.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think a small solenoid would be easier than a servo? Less moving parts. Have you seen those Air Wick air fresheners that turn a tiny fan on for a few seconds every minute or so? Whatever circuit they use (I've seen it - it's simple) would seem to be very close to what you want.