Ultrasound Fetal Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtr_stitch

Joined Jan 3, 2011
Okay, first off, if there is already a thread like this one, I apologize. I didn't see it.
Anyways, I am in need of a little help and/or advice. Basically, I am attempting to make my own little personal fetal heartbeat monitor. Not a sonogram, just the thing where you can hear the heartbeat.
I have been doing some research and now about doppler and all that. Thing is, not sure how to go about constructing it. Any tip? Pointers? Maybe a schematic that can point me in the right diretion? I have been Google'ing my heart out and to no evail, can't really find much. Any help would be appreciated!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here's one pointer: http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/display/article/10168/56156

I suggest using a passive monitor, not ultrasound. Just get a regular or amplified stethoscope, if you want to listen. There are lots of circuits for passive monitors. You can also rent monitors for nominal price.

I don't think messing around as a hobbyist on a project like this is a good idea and not likely to save any money. Maybe there is a reason the actual DIY circuits are not on the Internet?

John

gtr_stitch

Joined Jan 3, 2011
Although the link you sent was frightfully insightful, the research is benign. The brain of a mouse is exponentially less complex than a humans. Although I do agree with the article that prolonged exposure to ultrasound can be detrimental to a fetus brain, I think the exposure would have to be far more extensive. I am a science nerd, and commend the scientists at Yale who did the research, but I think something was lost in communication between you and I. As an expecting father, I have gotten frustrated with the "nominal" price of these at-home monitors. Although I am not an expert at electronic circuitry, I do consider myself knowledgeable
enough to earn a rank higher than that of a mere hobbyist, as you so put. While I do appreciate the feedback, I was looking for something a little more than criticism.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You seem to think an awful lot of yourself. So much so, you are will to experiment on your own child?

I doubt anyone around here is going to help you cause possible harm to your child.

gtr_stitch

Joined Jan 3, 2011
Hmm...I think someone needs to figure out what words mean. I don't recall saying anything about experimenting on anyone. Not sure how you came up with that conclusion. As well, didn't think I was going to be attacked for wanting to ******* make something, ******* pricks.

gtr_stitch

Joined Jan 3, 2011
I'm sorry. It seems I was censored. Don't think you got the whole message...
<SNIP>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.