ULN2003 or single transistors

stoopkid

Joined Mar 3, 2011
I'm gonna be using some shift registers to PWM some sets of RGB LEDs using an arduino shiftPWM library. There will be five different sets of LEDs, three colors for each and three series of three LEDs that I wish to power from 12v. So that will be 15 channels of 12v, 60mA each. Should I use a bunch of 3904 and 3906 transistors, or should I use some ULN2003 chips? Can the ULN2003 operate at arduino PWM frequency? Would it get too hot at 420mA per chip?

If I used regular transistors, I can just sink the cathode of the LEDs with a 3904, pulled high, right? Would that be a better idea than trying to use the chip?

What would you do here?

Thanks

Last edited:

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
If you're using shift registers anyway, you might want to look at serial-to-parallel sinking or sourcing driver ICs or serial-to-parallel constant current sinking driver ICs (no LED current limiting resistors required).

The Micrel MIC5891 serial-to-parallel sourcing driver IC has separate VCC and VBB inputs which help reduce circuit complexity for driving segments with multiple LEDs in series at a higher voltage. For example, the following circuit uses my MacMux method to drive sixteen 12-volt channels using only three I/O pins.

Good luck on your project.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I agree with MMcLaren - try using display drivers.

Transistors would work, but for ease of construction I would use drivers.

stoopkid

Joined Mar 3, 2011
I need to drive the cathodes. Another forum suggested the use of a TPIC6B59 which is the 595 and MOSFETs built in for up to 500mA per chip I think. Is that a similar idea? I need whatever I use to be compatible with the 74HC595 because the library I am depending on uses it.