UK Electronics Industry

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
Hi

I was wondering, what electronics is designed and/or manufactured in the UK?

I know we have defense such as missiles, submarines, ships, aircraft etc as well as civilian aircraft.

But anything else?

What about network technology (routers and switches etc), or computers and laptops, or dvd players and tvs, perhaps programmable logic controllers etc.

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
How about the Rasberry pi, the arm processor?

Cambridge is a big centre for leading edge electronic design, there's also a lot of internet tech centred around Old street in London.

Steve.

Dang shagas beat me to it!

Last edited:

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Well that was about the only thing I knew that was made in the Uk .
Apparently there is also some company named Acorn Computers Ltd. established in
Cambridge that makes computers etc

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I believe Eurotherm and Bardac are made in the UK, but I'll leave the research to you.. This topic has come up before, and if I remember correctly, the reason the UK electronics industry and industry in general has fled the UK is because the taxes on manufacture are so high that you can't make money at making things there any more.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There is plenty of economic growth in manufacturing in the UK, just not many manufacturing jobs. Leading companies are still making things and, like most industries, there are electronic instruments and control systems required to support the manufacturing. Most of these small and specialized companies are not household names and have no connection with consumer products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_in_the_United_Kingdom