uC ADC help

silvrstring

Joined Mar 27, 2008
Hello, everybody.

I'm playing around with the ADC of my HCS12 uC. On p.236 of the reference manual at

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/data_sheet/MC9S12C128V1.pdf?pspll=1

bit 5 of ATDCTL5 can be set as "Single conversion sequence," or "Continuous conversion sequence." Can someone tell me what the difference is? It sounds like a stupid question, I know. But the reason I am asking is because a recent lab I did attaches a potentiometer to one ATD input pin, and converts and reports the voltage level (0V ~ 5V) as it is adjusted. But the ATDCTL5 "SCAN" bit (bit 5) was set to "Single conversion sequence."

Continuous monitoring was made possible by putting the whole thing in a while(1){...} loop. So what is the difference between "Single conversion sequence" in a while(1) loop, and setting the SCAN bit to "Continuous conversion sequences?"

Thanks for any help.
silvrstring

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Single conversion mode means that you have to retrigger a conversion cycle using software.

Continuous conversion means that the ADC converts its analog input on a periodic basis that is set by the sample rate that it has been configured to use. In continuous mode the ADC starts a new conversion cycle immediately following the completion of the current conversion.

hgmjr