ubw32 and ethernet

Talguy

Joined Aug 17, 2009
I am considering purchasing the UBW32 from sparkfun since them broke out all the pins on the PIC32 so that you can breadboard the microcontroller. I am pretty new to embedded design and was wondering if the pic32 had a onchip ethernet controller like it does for USB if not where would I be able to find a ethernet controller chip that I could easily interface with the UBW32.

Talguy

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
The Pic32 does not have built in ethernet support, but Microchip makes a standalone Ethernet controller (ENC28J60) that easily interfaces with the Pic32 using Microchips libraries and file stacks......

I use the module below to serve HTTP files from an SD_Card with Fat32 support..... I also run an SNMP agent, HTTP server, and it is DHCP enabled so it can acquire its own IP from a server or router.....

Do a search for the ENC28J60 on google and it should bring up a bunch of links where you can purchase the IC on a module same as above, already built and ready to connect and go, I got mine off of ebay for $17.00 dollars.....

My .02

Talguy

Joined Aug 17, 2009
I read further into the documentation and realized I would need a seperate chip. I think I'm going to go with the ENC424J600.