Uart communication between two different microcontrollers

bsrao

Joined Dec 4, 2012
Hi...i want to communicate usart communication between 2 different microcontrollers...what are the hardware conections we have to give for communicating between 2 different microcontrollers...and how to take care in the software part like baudrate must be same for both controllers...? please suggest as i am new to microcontroller programming..

Thanks in Advance

bsrao

Joined Dec 4, 2012
i have done a search on net but i am not able to find any thing for communication between 2 different controllers....

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What is the question?
Once you set the baud rates to be the same you should not have a problem.
You have not specified the model numbers of the microcontrollers.

bsrao

Joined Dec 4, 2012
can u help me in hardware part...how to give connections...do we need any special ic for connecting between 2 mcu other than TTL...

Last edited:

bsrao

Joined Dec 4, 2012
one more thing i want to clarify both controllers are of different voltages...will there be any issue in transmitting data if voltages are different...

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Specify your voltages. You can adapt for different voltages.

Also, learn to communicate. Why does it take two posts to get your information across?

bsrao

Joined Dec 4, 2012
sorry for this..from next time i wont repeat it again.....one mcu is operating at 3.3v and the other mcu at 1.8v

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
To reduce a 3.3v TXD signal to suit 1.8v RXD input, simply use a voltage divider and/or a diode clamp.

To boost a 1.8v TXD signal for a 3.3v RXD input, use a non-inverting transistor buffer. A simple solution such as a pullup resistor might work.