uA741 vs LM324

Aisha.Raj

Joined Nov 22, 2012
Can someone pls guide me as to which is a practically better op amp , the uA741 or the LM 324 when it comes to using an op amp in a pulse generator circuit ( to generate square pulses of width varying from 0.1ms to 1s and varying duty-cycle from 25% to 75 % ) ....??? What could be the major concern issues when i am choosing the op amps ....?? I mean when i used either of them i was not able to pin point major differences in the waveforms...

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
That will depend on the circuit. You should post that. The LM324 is a single supply opamp. So that may be the best option, I think. But both opamps are kind of outdated. By the way why not use a LM555 type circuit

Aisha.Raj

Joined Nov 22, 2012
umm...v have been specifically asked to design a pulse generator using op amps which operate off ± 10 V ...also while rigging up the circuit , i have given ± 10 V for the LM324 as supply , i havent given it a +Vcc and Grd as supply....

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Ah.. so this homework. Is your observation based on a real world circuit, or just simulation? Both opamps will operate fine at +/- 10 volt. But the 741 do have slightly higher gain bandwidth product (GBW). And that will maybe be a plus in such application

Aisha.Raj

Joined Nov 22, 2012
yes it is...i have tried practically implementing both circuits and i am not able to tell difference (if there are any)...both have comparable slew rates also (0.5 V/us for 741 and 0.4V/us for LM324)...well the hardware looked more compact in case of 324 since it was a quad IC and i had js 1 such one in my breadboard compared to 3 when i used a 741.....

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If you can not se much deference if any at all. And you think using a LM324 gives you a more compact design and less wiring. Then just go for LM324. As this would a valid argument in real world electronics circuit design. But you should discuss your choice in your final report. Just like you did in post #6