Typos

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
First off, great site, I have a masters in Electrical Engineering and im going through the whole book to refresh my memory on some of the topics. As I go through it, ill be sure to post any typos I find along the way. So far here is what I have.

Chapter: All About Circuits > Volume I - DC > Chapter 1: BASIC CONCEPTS OF ELECTRICITY > Voltage and current

Typos (marked in red):

• REVIEW:
  • Electrons can be motivated to flow through a conductor by a the same force manifested in static electricity.
  • Voltage is the measure of specific potential energy (potential energy per unit charge) between two locations. In layman's terms, it is the measure of "push" available to motivate electrons.
  • Voltage, as an expression of potential energy, is always relative between two locations, or points. Sometimes it is called a voltage "drop."
  • When a voltage source is connected to a circuit, the voltage will cause a uniform flow of electrons through that circuit called a current.
  • In a single (one loop) circuit, the amount current of current at any point is the same as the amount of current at any other point.
  • If a circuit containing a voltage source is broken, the full voltage of that source will appear across the points of the break.
  • The +/- orientation a voltage drop is called the polarity. It is also relative between two points.
PS.

If you ever want a volume on Wafer fabrication, basically how they go from grains of sand to wafers with transistors, resistors, capacitors let me know. I also have quite a bit of knowledge in MEMS.

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004
SeigeX,

Please keep the typo's comming. At some point I will edit them in the source. Once you say there are no more for DC volume I would be a good time.

I would encourage you to write a "Semiconductor Fabrication" Book. If you don't know if you want to write a whole book, then write a "Semiconductor Fabrication" chapter for inclusion in one of the volumes of "Lessons in Electricity" . That experience will help you make a decision on writing the whole book.
See ""Contributing to this project" for how Tony Kuphaldt goes about making "Lessons in Electricity" available in a variety of formats: HTML, LATEX, postscript, PDF, text. Even if you do not want to wirte a chapter, but want to go for the whole book, this will get you started on how to write a book.

One appproach would be to do A Web-only document using your favorite HTML editor. To get the widest possible circulation, consider Tony's approach so that it may be printed so that it looks like a book.

There are other ways to produce a book in multiple formats that you can look at.

1) Aptconvert
Aptconvert allows you to input source in a free-form format. It is a good way to get up and running quickly. It is meant to be relatively simple. I'm not sure if there is a Windows version of this program. There should be, since it is java based.

2) LATEX2HTML
LATEX2HTML allows you to write with LATEX tools as many university professors and reasearchers do and later convert that to HTML. The purpose of LATEX is to type set a book. This approach lets you write the book first, then convert to HTML. The original LATEX files also yield postscript and Adobe PDF with other tools, the same ones which Tony uses.

Writing a technical book or chapter involves 1) writing the text, 2) producing drawings, or jpeg photos, or both. The previous "How to contribute" link show how Tony handles this.

Take a look at the links to see what is involved. Then if you cannot decide which approach is best for you, consider writing a chapter for "Lessons in Electricity" using Tony's tools. That will give you needed experience. If you are comfortable with Linux, this will be easy.

If you are not a Linux user, let me tell you how I got started. Back in 1996, I heard about an integrated circuit layout program called magic. It only ran on unix/Linux back then. So, I had to get and learn Linux to be able to use this program. This program may be useful in producing illustrations for your book.

Dennis Crunkilton

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Feedback and Suggestions 0
S Feedback and Suggestions 1
C Feedback and Suggestions 0
R Feedback and Suggestions 2
jut Feedback and Suggestions 5