Typos In EBook?

spider 236

Joined Jan 23, 2011
I came across these minor typos in Volume III - Semiconductors » THYRISTORS » Gas Discharge Tubes:

Two words are reversed

While gas-discharge lamps are more commonly used as sources of illumination, their hysteric properties were leveraged in slightly more sophisticated variants known as thyratron tubes. Essentially a gas-filled triode tube (a triode being a three-element vacuum electron tube performing much a similar function to the N-channel, D-type IGFET), the thyratron tube could be turned on with a small control voltage applied between grid and cathode, and turned off by reducing the plate-to-cathode voltage.

It looks like the link "above" was meant to be used in the first occurrence of the word in the highlighted phrase and the second occurrence was meant to be a figure number.

In essence, thyratron tubes were controlled versions of neon lamps built specifically for switching current to a load. The dot inside the circle of the schematic symbol indicates a gas fill, as opposed to the hard vacuum normally seen in other electron tube designs. In the circuit shown above in Figure above. the thyratron tube allows current through the load in one direction (note the polarity across the load

Not sure how the following was meant to be. It just appears to be somewhat awkward.

I speak of thyratron tubes in the past tense for good reason: modern semiconductor components have obsoleted thyratron tube technology for all but a few very special applications. It is no coincidence that the word thyristor bears so much similarity to the word thyratron, for this class of semiconductor components does much the same thing: use hysteretically switch current on and off. It is these modern devices that we now turn our attention to.

I really like the E-books; they're a big help understanding whats going on.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
1 ". ... electron tube performing a much similar function..." seems to read better.

2. "In the circuit shown in the figure above, the thyratron tube...." reads better

3. "... does much the same thing: hysteretically switch current on and off." might be the correct meaning.