Typo

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When a PN junction is forward biased the current-voltage relationship is an exponential function as described by the Ebers-Moll model. This is not a breakdown condition.

Breakdown occurs when the PN junction is reversed biased and the applied voltage reaches a point where avalanche breakdown occurs.

The 7V breakdown voltage is correct in this case.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
When a PN junction is forward biased the current-voltage relationship is an exponential function as described by the Ebers-Moll model. This is not a breakdown condition.

Breakdown occurs when the PN junction is reversed biased and the applied voltage reaches a point where avalanche breakdown occurs.

The 7V breakdown voltage is correct in this case.
Oh, I thought it was forward bias. I see my problem. I didn't notice that it stated it was the breakdown voltage. Maybe it could be reworded to:
The heavy doping in the emitter gives the emitter-base a low breakdown voltage of approximate 7 V for small signal transistors.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
This is what is written:

The heavy doping in the emitter gives the emitter-base a low approximate 7 V breakdown voltage in small signal transistors. The heavily doped emitter makes the emitter-base junction have zener diode like characteristics in reverse bias.
Your wording is slightly better.