two transistor on off switch--what is going on?

chimera

Joined Oct 21, 2010
Hello. So, its been sometime since I messed around with transistor circuits. I figured it'd refresh my knowledge. This is what I intended ( I have attached a schematic):

I have wired up two transistors so that an led is always on when a push button is open. I have accomplished that with PNP transistor in a simple pass configuration. Now, the second transistor, an NPN, should only light up another led when the push botton is pressed and should remain lit till the time the button is pressed.

I wired it up, but the thing is that, when i press the button, the pnp led remain on but dim and the npn led lights up. When I let the button go, the pnp leds becomes bright again and the npn led goes out (as intended).

Where am I going wrong with this basic set up? I really am amazed how easy it is to forget basic transistors circuits (for me atleast)

For image purposes, please see attached schematic. THANKS!!!!!!

EDIT: Everyone was such a great help that I ended up fixing it on my own! Thanks for all the efforts guys :rolleyes: (sarcasm). I have attached the fixed schematic of the problem. Feel free to use it for future references

Attachments

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
The problem is that conduction through Q3 base prevents the voltage across the switch ever being more than about 0.6V, so the other transistor is not switching. You can probably get around that by adding one more resistor, or maybe a diode? Think about it.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
<snip>
EDIT: Everyone was such a great help that I ended up fixing it on my own! Thanks for all the efforts guys :rolleyes: (sarcasm). I have attached the fixed schematic of the problem. Feel free to use it for future references
Geeeeeez! It was only yesterday that you posted this. People do have lives outside of AAC.:rolleyes:

chimera

Joined Oct 21, 2010
Simpler and avoids PNPs. It's basically a flip-flop.
Thanks for the idea. I need a pnp in a pass element configuration. But yeah, the npn arrangement in deisgn is basic flip flop switch and is a very simple yet efficient design.

What deisgn software are u using?

The problem is that conduction through Q3 base prevents the voltage across the switch ever being more than about 0.6V, so the other transistor is not switching. You can probably get around that by adding one more resistor, or maybe a diode? Think about it.
Yeah i tweaked the values a little bit!

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Thanks for the idea. I need a pnp in a pass element configuration. But yeah, the npn arrangement in deisgn is basic flip flop switch and is a very simple yet efficient design.

What deisgn software are u using?

Yeah i tweaked the values a little bit!
Simulation has suckered more than one novice.