Two switches to run one pedal?!

wfddyes

Joined Feb 7, 2012
Im a musician and I'm trying to create a better way to use my effects pedals in real time. so i created a stand to hold some of them up at standing level so I could change the settings on them without bending over all the time. What I want to use is an old set of piano pedals that will be wired up so that when you tap the piano pedal that is on the ground, you will be turning on/off the effects pedal that is now up on a stand.

I am looking for how to have two switches run one pedal if possible. Lets say we have a destortion pedal, I want to be able to turn the effect on and off with a latching switch but, also be able to run it with a momentary switch so it'll only turn the effect on when I am pushing down on the piano pedal! I only have so many pins for the connectors so if i can put these two switches in a sequence that would be great! ANy help will be appreciated and hopefully this isnt to confusing! Thanks all

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You could wire a single pole single throw normally open pushbutton switch (for the foot switch) in parallel to your "latching on/off switch" - if the latching switch were ON, the foot switch would have no effect.

You'll also need a single-pole single-throw switch for the latching switch. You might consider using a bat-handle toggle switch.

wfddyes

Joined Feb 7, 2012
im sorry but this is new stuff for me but which switch (SPDT or SPST) and with what specs. (normaly on or normaly off) will give me the when the switch is being pressed it is in use and when i release its not. The oposite being push the pedal its on and push it again to turn it off. Thanks for the reply by the way

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The foot switch can be a SPST N.O. pushbutton type.

The other switch can be a SPST toggle switch ON-OFF. You could also use a SPDT switch if you'd like - just wire up the common terminal and one of the remaining two terminals.