Two switches/one to be replaced

adriadri

Joined Apr 30, 2009
What I don´t get from that circuit is how after the X seconds delay
the relay- initially open (in my case)- briefly shorts my two pins and then opens again.
The two pins must not remain shorted: I think this is the difficult part to achieve.

tibbles

Joined Jun 27, 2008
sorry adriadri that didnt go too well.

in the motor trade you probably have easy access to 12v relays, so why not stick with those, just add another relay to give you the momentary action , not too pretty but if it does the job
first one timed at 3 seconds, second one momentary

adriadri

Joined Apr 30, 2009
thanks,
I think you shouldn´t use doc files for your attachments. Try to convert it to jpeg and will work. Anyway I saw your schematic.

tibbles

Joined Jun 27, 2008
you did say a simple circuit?

both relays timed, second for half a second? you will need to find resistance of relay coils- ohmeter, or trial and error,
include a 1 amp? fuse at battery

tibbles

Joined Jun 27, 2008
just spotted a possible snag re kens relay circuit, does it need a pb switch in order to work.to enable the cap to discharge.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
just spotted a possible snag re kens relay circuit, does it need a pb switch in order to work.to enable the cap to discharge.
If you are referring to this: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12524&d=1254870511 The 1k resistor and the diode discharge the cap when the switch, to the +12V, is opened. Without the diode, the circuit will output a pulse then the switch is closed...and when the switch is opened.

It´s very simple indeed! I think I´ll easily do the task using the ideas you brought and reading this site I´ve just found, it looks interesting
http://www.simprojects.nl/toggle_to_momentary.htm
These will just give you a momentary pulse when the switch is switched....with no delay. That's what mine did.

ken

Last edited:

tibbles

Joined Jun 27, 2008
thanks ken
im wondering if there might be a bit of jitter as the relay coils rise and fall past the coil operating voltge
i might put one together if i get chance later on,

adriadri

Joined Apr 30, 2009
thanks for your interest Ken and Tibbles,
So it would be necessary to:
-correct me if I´m wrong - Use a timer first , that triggers a relay
which in turn powers Ken´s circuit .
And including a diode not to allow the pulse in the other direction.

tibbles

Joined Jun 27, 2008
hi
ive just thrown a relay circuit together, even with a 470 ohm cap and a 10 k resister there is hardly any delay, were looking at a large capacitor
which might create its own problems.
be ok for the second relay i suppose,

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
The extra set of contacts on your power switch (that turns on box A), are they SPST (single pole-single throw) with two contacts, or SPDT (single pole-double throw) with three contacts?

And do you know what the resistance of you is, or have a link to a spec sheet.

Ken

tibbles

Joined Jun 27, 2008
it is a dpdt the top half replaces the original switch for isolation

did you mean relay resistance, auto relays are around 90 ohms i think but i will check
i am using a small 2 amp relay to test delay at the moment,

im just redrawing using 555s in case we cant get the relays to work

it will look something like this

Attachments