Two stage common emitter amplifier

jut

Joined Aug 25, 2007
I am trying to achieve maximum gain from two CE stages. The input signal is 50mVp-p and the load is 5k.

I attached the schematic and voltage into and output signals. The most I could muster was a gain of 207. Can someone tell me if it's possible to get more? Are there any flaws in this setup holding me back?

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
R16 and R18 provide some negative feedback to reduce distortion and reduce the maximum gain. Short them for max gain.

The load is 1k, not 5k. The gain is higher if the load is 5k and then the collector resistor value of the second transistor can be increased for even more gain.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I am trying to achieve maximum gain from two CE stages. The input signal is 50mVp-p and the load is 5k.

I attached the schematic and voltage into and output signals. The most I could muster was a gain of 207. Can someone tell me if it's possible to get more? Are there any flaws in this setup holding me back?

Assuming your input and output impedances are about equal, that's about 46 db of gain. Theoretical maximum power gain for a BJT is about 23 dB. You're right on the money.

eric

lmartinez

Joined Mar 8, 2009
R16 and R18 provide some negative feedback to reduce distortion and reduce the maximum gain. Short them for max gain.

The load is 1k, not 5k. The gain is higher if the load is 5k and then the collector resistor value of the second transistor can be increased for even more gain.

Mr. AudioGuru:

Can you share some of your knowledge? How are R16 and R18 providing negative feedback to such circuit configuration to reduce distortion. Your feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Mr. AudioGuru:

Can you share some of your knowledge? How are R16 and R18 providing negative feedback to such circuit configuration to reduce distortion. Your feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you
An unbypassed emitter resistor produces negative feedback. That is why the gain is reduced. The distortion is also reduced.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Assuming your input and output impedances are about equal, that's about 46 db of gain. Theoretical maximum power gain for a BJT is about 23 dB. You're right on the money.

eric
Actually I've read that a maximum gain of 25dB is allowed per stage (Av=17.8≈18), and not 23dB (Av=14). I suppose I am being a bit picky, but I"m sure he'll want to squeeze out all the gain he can get.

Another way for the op to increase gain is by adding a cap in parallel with the emitter resistor. This will increase Av by quite a stretch.

Austin