Two soldering points of Micro USB port ripped off from motherboard - how can I proceed?

CSegura

Joined Mar 20, 2021
Hi all,
I am truly a beginner and I'm still learning how to sold. I am trying to fix a speaker that I have, from which the micro USB port has come out/been ripped off by use.
I have seen many videos explaining how to sold the port to the motherboard, but the problem is that two of the soldering points (apologies if this is not the right terminology) have come out completely, as in, the green/blue part of the mother board (and the copper layer?) have come out. So I am not too sure how I should proceed. I have looked for help for hours, but I haven't found this precise problem, because the soldering points that have come out are not the main connectors to the circuit, they are the connectors that are part of the port's body (see picture).

The fact is that I am not sure if perhaps I could ignore the fact that these two soldering points were ripped off since they may not be part of the main circuit? But I am not too sure, as I see some kind of copper beneath the green/blue cover that perhaps I should take into account.

Could someone please indicate how I could proceed? I am really a beginner, but I am really keen to learn how to fix these.

Thank you in advance!IMG_20210320_182235.jpgIMG_20210320_182321.jpgIMG_20210320_182309.jpg

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi CS,
It looks repairable.
Solder a thin wire across the points marked in Green
Solder the connector back on the one good side, once in place solder a wire link from the metal body of the connector tjat is pulled off to its old solder pad.

Also you must solder the 5 pins to their pads.
Do you follow OK.?

E

Attachments

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
The USB connector looks bent to me. See if you can fix that first, before trying to replace it.
Ass @ericgibbs indicated, it does look to be quite repairable.
Clean up the connector by removing the old ripped off pads first I think, so it will sit down ok.
You may find it "fun" to solder the 5 pins without solder bridges but it can be done. The application of some flux first may help.
The last one I did made use of a hot air tool to do the pin soldering.
Work on soldering the body securely down first, with good mechanical connection of the pins before attacking them so as not to put undue strain on those pads.

CSegura

Joined Mar 20, 2021
hi CS,
It looks repairable.
Solder a thin wire across the points marked in Green
Solder the connector back on the one good side, once in place solder a wire link from the metal body of the connector tjat is pulled off to its old solder pad.

Also you must solder the 5 pins to their pads.
Do you follow OK.?

E
Hi @ericgibbs ,
Thank you for the reply, this is very helpful.

I think I understand what you mean. First solder two wires following the green lines. Then, solder the sides that are not ripped off. Then, the ripped off ones, using another wire to link the connector to the pcb-soldered wires (the ones on the green lines). Then solder the five pins. Is this more or less correct?

What type of wire should I use to link the points marked in green?

Also, I completely forgot to say I bought a new usb port, so I can use the new one instead.

Thank you so much again!!

CS

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
by look of things, the pads that have come off, are the ones that hold the connector to the board,
which are basically at most gnd,
Just solder it back on,
large lump of arildite on either side to fix it firmly

CSegura

Joined Mar 20, 2021
The USB connector looks bent to me. See if you can fix that first, before trying to replace it.
Ass @ericgibbs indicated, it does look to be quite repairable.
Clean up the connector by removing the old ripped off pads first I think, so it will sit down ok.
You may find it "fun" to solder the 5 pins without solder bridges but it can be done. The application of some flux first may help.
The last one I did made use of a hot air tool to do the pin soldering.
Work on soldering the body securely down first, with good mechanical connection of the pins before attacking them so as not to put undue strain on those pads.
Hi @dendad ,
Thank you so much for your reply. Indeed, I will do as you say and use flux and 'clean' the different parts before soldering the port. I completely forgot to say that I bought a new port, so I can use that one instead. Indeed, the most difficult I guess are the 5 pins, since I have a soldering iron and no hot air tool.

I guess my main concern was on how to proceed with the pcb parts that are ripped off, but the wires suggestion from @ericgibbs seem like a good idea.

Thank you!
CS

CSegura

Joined Mar 20, 2021
by look of things, the pads that have come off, are the ones that hold the connector to the board,
which are basically at most gnd,
Just solder it back on,
large lump of arildite on either side to fix it firmly
Hi
Thank you! So you mean I could solder and then use arildite to double-secure the ripped off parts? Or just use arildite in the parts that are ripped off?
I'm asking because it is not clear to me if I can solder the port back directly on the pcb area that does not have the blue/green surface, or if I shall proceed in some special way to not damage it... Sorry, I have the feeling this may be a silly concern.

Thank you!

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi CS,
Solder first and after testing that it all works, then Araldite to give it mechanical strength.
Take care no glue near the 5 inner pads or pins.
E
Soldering a wire link from the metal body of the connector that is pulled off to its old solder pad would help if required