two channel amplifier(difference and the reference)

Plantis

Joined Apr 9, 2012
Hi All,

Please, I need some help.

Currently, I am working on a project. I need to design and make a circuit which will have two channels. I have two photodiodes. I have one laser beam. I split it into two equal beams and then I measure their intensities by using two photodiodes. Next, I use chopper to modulate second beam. I measure two signals simultaneously. My circuit has two outputs. One is a reference(just first beam). Second is a difference between two beams. Difference output works well. However, the reference channel gives me constant potential in -2.3V + some tiny reaction on light.

Photodiodes are connected between PAD1 and PAD2, Pad3 and PAD5

See attached scheme. There are few additional comments and my observations.

Additional information: I have already made prototype. Currently, I am testing it.

Part numbers:
Op. Amplifier: ADA 4817-1
photodiode: Hamamatsu S3071

Regards,
Plantis

Attachments

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
How are the photodiodes connected to the circuit?

EDIT: I get that they are connected to the pads. Are they reverse-biased?

EDIT: Your circuit makes no sense. Neither pad 1 nor pad 2 connects to an amplifier input.

EDIT: Keep in mind that the amplifier will amplify any DC bias on the photodiode, as well as the current. This may be driving your amplifier into saturation.

Last edited:

Plantis

Joined Apr 9, 2012
How are the photodiodes connected to the circuit?

EDIT: I get that they are connected to the pads. Are they reverse-biased?
Yes, there are reverse-biased.
EDIT: Your circuit makes no sense. Neither pad 1 nor pad 2 connects to an amplifier input.
The point between resistors R2 and R3 (between pads 2 and 3) has zero potential if currents through first and second photodiodes are equal. In this case, difference channel measures difference between light fluxes.

Reference channel just measures potential on the reference photodiode.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Yes, there are reverse-biased.

The point between resistors R2 and R3 (between pads 2 and 3) has zero potential if currents through first and second photodiodes are equal. In this case, difference channel measures difference between light fluxes.

Reference channel just measures potential on the reference photodiode.
The node between resistors R2 and R3 is connected to the output (FB) of the upper op amp. There is no connection from the photodiodes to either input of that amplifier. I think you intended to connect that node to the -input, not the FB output.

EDIT: How much current do you expect from the lower photodiode?

EDIT: With your circuit wired as shown in the schematic, the upper op amp's output should be zero, independent of the photodiodes.

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Why is it so?
Attached is a simplified version of your "difference amplifier" as drawn in your schematic.
1. Keep in mind that, in your amplifier, FB and OUT are the same signal.
2. You left the PD (power down) pin floating. The datasheet says not to do this. It needs to be connected to +Vs.
3. It appears that you have 10uF from the output to ground. Why? Even if this does not make the op amp unstable, it will totally kill the bandwidth of the expensive wideband amplifier.

Attachments