TV slow coming on

logicrules

Joined May 3, 2009
Howdy,
I have a weird situation with my Envision LCD TV; it’s acting like an old CRT tube set, taking its time coming on. It seems to be taking more time lately, right now maybe 2 minutes to turn on the video and sound. It flickers at first and then pops on and no apparent problems. I know something is amiss, but what?
Does anyone know what the problem is and how I might fix it?

Any help will be appreciated.

logicrules

Joined May 3, 2009
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I can cope with the caps explanation but you lost me with the “high ESR”. It’s been a long time since I was involved in electronic repair. Then I was fresh out of high school. Now I’m asking 73 to move over. Maybe I need a dictionary on electronics. All I managed to secure in a search referred to blood pressure or something in that area.
Anyhoo, what is high ESR? And how will it affect my attempts to repair?

alim

Joined Dec 27, 2005
Hi logic, high ESR refers to the state of an electrolytic capacitor. It means equivalent series resistance. A capacitor with high ESR renders the cap. incapable to carry out its function. You will use an ESR meter to check them , they can be read in circuit, the meter would have a chart to compare your readings , the ESR depends on capacitance and voltage rating.

logicrules

Joined May 3, 2009
Thank you for your input(s), now I have a point to start. I hope the TV survives my tinkering. I will let you know the results when it comes out of surgery.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Howdy,
I have a weird situation with my Envision LCD TV; it’s acting like an old CRT tube set, taking its time coming on. It seems to be taking more time lately, right now maybe 2 minutes to turn on the video and sound. It flickers at first and then pops on and no apparent problems. I know something is amiss, but what?
Does anyone know what the problem is and how I might fix it?

Any help will be appreciated.
It must have caught it from my old Sony. I have the exact same problem. It now takes about four minutes to show the picture, used to be about ten seconds.

I assume it's a power supply problem. The vast majority of problems are power supply related, this one has all the earmarks. Probably bad caps (at least).