TV PSU Mod help needed

Blacksypher

Joined Apr 29, 2011
wait voltage regulators look like this right?

not the boxs with yellow.. sorry thats was the DC transformer thats i gave ya

FCH30U15 is 1 of them marking but there are at least 3 different types all over the board

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
its ok.

You can actually replace the 24v transformer with a 12v transformer.

Actually, do you have a "wall-wart" that is 12v?

I have a few dozen of them laying around. Look at old printers, laptops, clocks, calculators, etc..

You can just bring the 12v in from that external source.

Blacksypher

Joined Apr 29, 2011
there is a 12V line but only after you turn of the rest of board. which requires a 12 V on control board ... to send the 5VSB its for fans which the tv does not use but i cant get them to turn on.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
It blew for a reason.

Are you following the proper methods for checking currents?

Make sure you have the probe in the proper input. Many meters have a "mA" and a "A". Start with the "A" and if the signal is too small, THEN switch to the "mA"

Also, check to see if you have a 12v wall wart. If you do, see if everything works as it should with that 12v injected.

Blacksypher

Joined Apr 29, 2011
seems that the newer control board has coils attached to the 12V input on the control board and 5VSB so im assuming they used the 3 24V to produce the 12v needed.

Blacksypher

Joined Apr 29, 2011
i grounded the common to the case like an idiot ... and it wasn't in series thats why it blew.

and no we have wall warts but not the voltage needed we have alot of 6v's but no 12V's

Blacksypher

Joined Apr 29, 2011
also i followed the traces from the regulator they do goto the fans CN4 & CN5 but I'm assuming that i need to turn on that part of board before power goes threw the regulator. could I attach coils to the point on the control board where they have coils and just run all wired threw the connector , or could the traces be different on control board to facilitate the coils?

this image is the control board for the power supply for the new revision

My control board does not have those coils.

otherwise they are identical.

3 RED 24V 3 Grounds and a blue 5VSB .. also i have a unused Standby which on my old psu was yellow wire.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
3 hump symbol?

I dunno.. I would have to see it.

As for the startup-order, I wouldnt worry about that. The board should start things in the order it wants them.

If a fan starts a second or three after powerup, it wont hurt anything, BUT the system could be looking for TACH signals from the fans to be sure that there IS COOLING.

This is an often seen problem with projectors and XBOXs'.

The fan has a TACH wire that tells the uC (microController) what speed it is spinning. This lets it know if there is adequate cooling.

Some people have tried to add aftermarket fans that spin at faster or slower rates, even though they move more air, the console complained by not working.

I would go to radio shack and get a 12v wall-wart.

They usually have a selectable one with a switch that allows you to choose from 3v to 24v.

As long as it has a 12v, you should be good. Look or ask for a REGULATED 12v supply.