Turning a hairdryer into a COOL blower

StephenDJ

Joined May 31, 2008
Why would you not recommend it? I will not give up on making PCBs, and unless I know what the "approved methods" are, I will go with this device. Outdoors is not a hazardous environment. Please tell me sir, how do you deal with ferric cloride?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Two other possibilities: 1) Do it outdoors; and/or 2) Switch to persulfate.

Persulfate and sulfuric acid are non-volatile.

John

StephenDJ

Joined May 31, 2008
Two other possibilities: 1) Do it outdoors; and/or 2) Switch to persulfate.

Persulfate and sulfuric acid are non-volatile.

John
Outdoors - yes. And working outdoors with this device, even if it stops, it's as simple as walking across the yard or over tree a few feet away from the the etching location and removing the bag. There is nothing to be afraid of here. I will not be afraid of it.

Mike2545

Joined Mar 26, 2009
Why would you not recommend it? I will not give up on making PCBs, and unless I know what the "approved methods" are, I will go with this device. Outdoors is not a hazardous environment. Please tell me sir, how do you deal with ferric cloride?
Get your self the proper safety equipment, starting with:

• NIOSH-approved respirator
  • Rubber gloves
  • Non-absorbent apron
  • Safety goggles
A plastic bag over your head attached to a blow dryer at the end of a hose is not the way to be found dead.

Mike2545

Joined Mar 26, 2009
You originally posted a question "Turning a hairdryer into a COOL blower".

If I had known you were engaging in this type of behavior I would have altered my suggestions when helping you out.

Make shift safety equipment is often more harmful in the end because the users are lulled into a false sense of security.

You could end up with a cloud of Ferric Chloride in that bag around your head.
Please reconsider what you are doing.

StephenDJ

Joined May 31, 2008
Yes, I know there are safety concerns but it's certainly better than not having anything at all. And if anything goes wrong, I am assuming full responsibility. You have my word on it.

Last edited:

Mike2545

Joined Mar 26, 2009
I cannot stop you from making your own decisions, for that I would never be held responsible. I can only suggest what I would; take my words to heart and listen to reason. I would implore you to get proper safety equipment and forget this idea altogether.
That said, I wish you all the health and safety in your endeavors.

Last edited:

StephenDJ

Joined May 31, 2008
Say, is persulfate really that much better? I know it's more expensive. And what is NIOSH???

I already have the rubber gloves.

Last edited: