Trying to read from an RS232 port, of an espresso machine controller

Yami

Joined Jan 18, 2016
I have got a faulty Gicar control board taken from an espresso machine. The controller is made around the micro controller ST62T60C6. There is a port for RS232 communication with a jumper shorting out the middle two pin.
I am curious to know if there would be any way to read from this port? Perhaps using an arduino? I am currently doing some reading on RS232 protocol.
Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I have attached pictures of the controller.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I suspect it could be read with an Aduino, if it is RS232. I can read RS-232 type serial data with a PIC quite easily and use it (i.e., 1-wire) routinely to communicate with character displays. Do you have an oscilloscope? If so, look at the data to confirm it is RS-232 (i.e., start and stop bits with 8 data bits). Or, a logic analyzer can be even more helpful. Since RS-232 allows a range of voltages, including negative ones, be sure the voltages are appropriate for your Arduino.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Reading “RS232” lines with an Arduino is built in to both the language (Arduino C; C++) and the hardware. All Arduino models support at least one serial/RS232 ports. Some support up to four such ports and with some restrictions, there is an Arduino software library that implements serial comms on other GPIO pins.
The problem is more in understanding the expresso machines serial protocol. In order to interpret the data which the Arduino reads.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The fact there only appears to be 3 pins would indicate there is no handshake, just TX, RX and GND.
Most PC have a RS232 port, even if it is just the header on the MOBO.
There should still be a few RS232 PC based communication programs out there.
Max.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The fact there only appears to be 3 pins would indicate there is no handshake, just TX, RX and GND.
Most PC have a RS232 port, even if it is just the header on the MOBO.
There should still be a few RS232 PC based communication programs out there.
Max.
PuTty is a Telnet/SSH comm program that also supports a serial connection. It is downloadable for no charge.

In addition, even if your PC doesn’t have an RS232 port, there are plenty of inexpensive USB to RS232 adapters available. I have one that I purchased to communicate to an SSC-32 Rev.1 controller, and used at work as well.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
RS232 HEX COM is a RS232 diagnostic program and has a free test version.
I have the paid version and find it very useful for trouble shooting serial ports.
Max.