Trying to make "light reminder" that can be turned OFF manually and resets itself to ON every 24hs

xbonet

Joined Nov 19, 2018
My wife needs to take the same pill at dinnertime every night, to the point that it's become mechanical and she, more often than not, does so automatically and then isn't sure if she took it or not. This means she often has to go check several times, even having to get out of bed sometimes to do so. Obviously, it frustrates her a lot!

So it got me thinking that I might be able to create a little device for her that tells her right away she's taken her pill and that would reset automatically every 24hs, at the time she normally takes her pill. What I had in mind was simply two lights: red and green. The thing resets to red at dinnertime, meaning she hasn't taken the pill; when she does, she presses a button and the green light comes on, meaning she has. 24hs later, the device resets itself back to red.

Sounds like it could be the simplest circuit in the world, even for a complete newbie like myself, but the problem is I can't even find the correct way to describe what I'm thinking of making in a way that Google may understand and point me to sources of DIY information I could use! So all my searches came out empty. The closest I got is how to make DIY pill alarms and dispensers, which are (a) not what I need, because the issue isn't remembering to take the pill, but remembering she has already taken it; and (b) much more complicated to make than what my limited knowledge will allow at this time.

Untitled-5.jpg

After a lot of hitting my head against a wall, I thought that a possible simple solution would be to buy one of those cheap DIY LED display digital clock electronic kits, which have an alarm function, and hook the alarm no to the little piezoelectric speaker that comes with it but instead to some sort of circuit or toggle that would trigger one light automatically and allow for a manual change of light. I even think that I may make it even simpler if I forget the green light and just focus on the red light: the alarm would toggle the light on and a press of a button would toggle it off until the next time the alarm was triggered by the clock.

So my question is: if this last ideas is feasible, what would I have to wire to the alarm output? And because I'm already here asking the pros, is there some other way of achieving the same thing without using a clock kit? Maybe a more elegant solution? Or an easier solution?

Thanks in advance for your input!

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi xb,
The method I use for my regular tablet taking is to leave a simple marker, at the time I take the tablets.
If the tablets are aluminium foil wrapped, I just tear a piece of the foil off the tablet pack and leave it on view on the table for a few hours.
If I am unsure if I have taken the pill, I just check for the foil marker.

Used that method for years, never had a problem.

E

EDIT:

This electronic type/s are available.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tab-Timer/...sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=tablet+talking+reminder

xbonet

Joined Nov 19, 2018
Hi, Eric! Thanks for your response!

It's a straightforward enough approach and one I would perhaps follow if I were in my wife's shoes but I'm afraid she's less practical than us and much less consistent, I'm afraid! So this might work for her for a week (maybe even less) but in the long run she'd end up thinking that maybe she took the pill but forgot to leave the marker, so she'd have to count the pills once again anyways! (And, to be honest, she'd probably be right.)

That's why I want to give her something she can have by the bed, where she can quickly look and confirm that she's taken it. Something really obvious: a big, bright red light! Plus, I was thinking making the whole device a box, so that she has to open it to get her pill, so she has to remember to press the button. (Maybe I can even get the light to toggle off when the box is opened—wouldn't that be awesome!)

Now, the thing with the device you link to is that, in the end, it's still only an alarm. She has an alarm set on all her devices, so there's no way she'll forget to actually take the pill. The thing is that she gets to thinking that maybe, for some reason, today she heard the alarm but forgot to take the pill! (Plus, I'd really like to make it all into a DIY electronics project for myself. I'm learning electronics as a hobby, so every opportunity to practice is a bonus!)

Thanks again for your input!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
+1 for a simple pill reminder box. A set of pill boxes with one for each day of the week. Earth friendly too.

If you have a more complicated need, like morning, evening, etc, there are boxes for that too.

There's also a subscription service that will bag your medications and label with the time to take it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
+1 for a simple pill reminder box. A set of pill boxes with one for each day of the week. Earth friendly too.

t.
Similar to what I do, each morning I place the pills for the day in a separate bottle, if they are still there at the mandated time, they need to be taken, and vice-versa if gone, means they have been taken!
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You could use a CD4060 timer configured as shown here.
I think you want version two.

You probably want to set it for some less than 24 hours so she doesn't think she already took it the next day.

xbonet

Joined Nov 19, 2018
Hi everyone! Thanks for your replies. They're all really good, practical ideas, but I'm really looking for an excuse to start a DIY electronics project here =D.

In that sense, Crutschow's answer gets me closer to what I was imagining I would end up having to build. I won't pretend to fully understand what it means and how I'm going to do it! But I believe that by carefully studying the diagram I might be able to reproduce it and do at least a half-decent job of it!

So thanks again to everyone for your input!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Basically that circuit has a low-frequency clock that is divided down by the counter stages to get a long time-out.
By selecting the desired counter output per the table, you can get the delay you want.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
They're all really good, practical ideas, but I'm really looking for an excuse to start a DIY electronics project here =D.
I thought that you were looking for something that helped your wife know whether or not she had taken her pill - my bad.

Remember the old adage, "Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler".