Trying to get a hold of the transformer: 273-1365A,

Maxim Gorki

Joined Feb 14, 2019
Trying to get a hold of the transformer: 273-1365A, my e-mail is <SNIP>

Moderators note : removed email to avoid spam

Last edited by a moderator:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Not wise to leave an email address. If I read you correctly that is a 12 VAC 450 mA transformer. There are dozens of common replacements available.A simple Google of "12 vac transformer" will bring up a few dozen hits. You just want an output of 0.5 Amp or greater and I assume a 120 VAC primary.

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As Ron said, common transformer, evidently a Radio Shack number?
If you don't need the centre tap variety as the original then there are even more selections.
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
As Ron said, common transformer, evidently a Radio Shack number?
If you don't need the centre tap variety as the original then there are even more selections.
Max.
My bad as I forgot to mention:

• Primary Voltage: 120VAC
  • Includes tabs, pins and wire leads for easy mounting
  • Secondary Voltage: 12V CT
  • Maximum Output: 450mA
I forgot to mention CT (Center Tapped).

Ron

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
A Google search turned up Radio Shack 12VAC 450mA with center tap. Shouldn't be particularly difficult to find.

Amazon.com had the exact part; didn't check to see if it was actually available.

EXTREMELY rare part. Ultra hard to find in any condition. No serious nerd should be without one. A key piece of electronic history!!!!

RST r1 IMG_8926.jpg
RST b r1 IMG_8928.jpg

I *may* have one in the vault, but it's not going to be cheap!

NOTE: This is a joke and I don't want to shlepp this thing to a post office to send it to some student on the other side of the world who will then screw me on paypal. Just use another comparable transformer like every one is telling you to do - if you ever come back and read this at all. [anyways mine is a 1385b]

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have half dozen or so transformers I bought from Radio Shack back in the day. That was one of the few things they did "right"; wire, transformers, and free batteries.
Except that Radio Shack transformers were terribly over-rated. That transformer looks too small to be a 3.78W transformer.
Hammond transformers are more conservatively rated, i.e. they supply the rated current and voltage without over-heating.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have half dozen or so transformers I bought from Radio Shack back in the day. That was one of the few things they did "right"; wire, transformers, and free batteries.
So that has me thinking, who actually made them? Did Tandy or Radio Shack actually wind their transformers or were they Radio Shack branded by another manufacturer? I have a few laying around here somewhere.

Ron

Thanks, I had not caught that.

Ron
To be clear, you can not see it on the posted pic as it's on the bottom of the back.
I looked at a few other old RS carded components and they had a variety of sources, Korea, Thailand, Japan, etc... Some simply say custom packaged for RS with no origin.

Looks like they had some advanced importing practices...for all the good it did them in the end.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
To be clear, you can not see it on the posted pic as it's on the bottom of the back.
I looked at a few other old RS carded components and they had a variety of sources, Korea, Thailand, Japan, etc... Some simply say custom packaged for RS with no origin.

Looks like they had some advanced importing practices...for all the good it did them in the end.
Yes, I was sort of sorry to see them go. Had one right up the street and every now and then I ran up to grab a component or something. They were convenient. When they were closing out I bought several things on close out. Even the display cases and racks went.

Ron

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Yes, I was sort of sorry to see them go.
I was sad to see them go too. Their prices were high, but it you needed something quick they were convenient. Now I get just about everything mail order. There's a surplus store nearby that has a reasonable selection, but their prices are too high.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
If simply replacing a transformer - size matters. If the transformer will not fit in the space provided it can be problematic. Some transformers are built to be mounted on PC boards while others have wires. What I'm seeing on Amazon is wired transformers. One picture looks like a center tapped (CT) transformer. If the one you're trying to replace has a CT then it's actually a 24 VAC transformer. Using just two diodes you can get a full wave rectification at 12 volts. Otherwise, if your transformer is not CT then you can use almost any transformer that both fits and has sufficient power ratings. But you'll need a full wave rectifier (or Bridge Rectifier (BR)).

I've found transformers at hardware stores - have one in my collection - is tapped for (I think) 6v, 12v and 18v outputs. That's just a tapped transformer (not CT) meaning between terminals A & B you get 6 volts. Between B & C you get 12 volts, and between A & C you get 18 volts. Not sure of the power rating, but finding a 12 volt transformer is not hard.

I'm going to go down stairs and look to see if I can quickly find that transformer and see if it has any power ratings. 450 mA is not a big transformer. But if you're looking to order one - you've been given some pretty good resources so far.

Yes, I was sort of sorry to see them go. Had one right up the street and every now and then I ran up to grab a component or something. They were convenient. When they were closing out I bought several things on close out. Even the display cases and racks went.

Ron
Yes.
Sometimes convenience means not having to order it online and wait and being willing to pay a higher price to get it now. Microcenter has replaced RS for some things - have you ever tried them? They have one in Mayfied Heights. I have been surprised to find how much they actually can carry and I have found myself going there from time to time. $3.99 Pro mini clones as well as a number of other boards (e.g., Teensy), high intensity LEDs, resistors, caps, transistors, FT232 boards, solder and accessories, lots of stuff actually. All retail branded.

On the downside, although their online inventory works pretty well, they are horribly disorganized and if their inventory shows one left, you may spend an hour finding it. I have talked to them about this a number of times but they don't get the idea of drawers and the like. Everything has to hang on hooks. They also fall terribly behind and it is common to see Adafruit branded components that have been discontinued for years but still hang and with their outdated high prices.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
[edit] HAD TO DELETE MY POST BECAUSE SOMETHING WAS ATTACHED THAT I DID NOT ATTACH IT TO THE POST:

{ORIGINAL POST}

OK, correction to my post: The transformer I was mentioning is rated as follows:

A - B = 8 V 10VA
B - C = 16 V 10VA
A - C = 24 V 20VA

But I also found a few other transformers from other sources (scavenged)

Old HVAC - 120VP (Primary), 24VS (Secondary)
Old doorbell - 120VP, 20VS
Pool/Spa controller - 220VP, ?VS
Scrapped stereos "Multi-tapped transformers with several voltages, some coils CT

Point is - there's a lot of sources out there.