Trying to figure out if i can exceed Amps by a factor of 3.4A

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If you'll notice, the answers from #12 are completely useless. He did that on purpose.
Thank you for your kind words. That is, attributing my meager answers to benevolent motives. The truth is, the questions were so vague, that was the best I could do with what I had to work with. We get so many of these random thoughts posted as if they were well considered plans that I didn't expect any follow-up from jermyc. Now that I see the rest of the story, I am glad I didn't stay up after my bed time trying to drag the details out of him.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
A little bit of OHM'S LAW will help;

E = I x R (Voltage = Amps times Resistance)
I = E÷R
R = E ÷ I

Power (is "Watts")
P = E x I
E = P ÷ I
I = P ÷ R

So if your fan runs on 12 volts then you run it on 12 volts. Not "More" volts. Of any given fan motor, it has a current (amperage) requirement. So if you have a 12 volt fan that runs on 1000 amps (exaggerated for emphasis) and you put a 8 AAA batteries in series (equaling 12 volts) the fan is NOT going to run. You need a Bigger battery, one capable of delivering 1000 amps.

OK, your problem: If you have a 12 volt solar panel that delivers 10 watts and have a fan that draws 2 amps - that equals 24 watts (remember, P [or watts] = E x I) (12v x 2a =24w). So if you can run a 12 volt 2 amp motor on a solar panel that can deliver 60 watts then you have more than enough power (watts).

Now that you know how to calculate how many watts your panel needs to produce, and you already know your fan of 12 volts and 5.4 amps, how many watts will that draw?

I'll give you the answer, but before you read on any further, see if you can figure it out for yourself. The answer is: twelve times five point four, equals sixty-four point eight watts. Do you think a sixty watt panel is big enough to run such a fan? AND you have to consider that the panel rating is at full sunlight at the optimum angle. So with any drop in sunlight, be it from clouds or haze, the time of day (when the sun angle is less than optimum) you might want to consider going at least one hundred fifty percent of what you need. (or close) I'd go with a one hundred watt panel to meet the needs of the bigger fan.

There's also a lot of trig involved with calculating sun angle and percentages of output. Math is heavy in electronics. If you're not proficient in math then I suggest you bone up on it.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
A little bit of OHM'S LAW will help;

E = I x R (Voltage = Amps times Resistance)
I = E÷R
R = E ÷ I

Power (is "Watts")
P = E x I
E = P ÷ I
I = P ÷ R

So if your fan runs on 12 volts then you run it on 12 volts. Not "More" volts. Of any given fan motor, it has a current (amperage) requirement. So if you have a 12 volt fan that runs on 1000 amps (exaggerated for emphasis) and you put a 8 AAA batteries in series (equaling 12 volts) the fan is NOT going to run. You need a Bigger battery, one capable of delivering 1000 amps.

OK, your problem: If you have a 12 volt solar panel that delivers 10 watts and have a fan that draws 2 amps - that equals 24 watts (remember, P [or watts] = E x I) (12v x 2a =24w). So if you can run a 12 volt 2 amp motor on a solar panel that can deliver 60 watts then you have more than enough power (watts).

Now that you know how to calculate how many watts your panel needs to produce, and you already know your fan of 12 volts and 5.4 amps, how many watts will that draw?

I'll give you the answer, but before you read on any further, see if you can figure it out for yourself. The answer is: twelve times five point four, equals sixty-four point eight watts. Do you think a sixty watt panel is big enough to run such a fan? AND you have to consider that the panel rating is at full sunlight at the optimum angle. So with any drop in sunlight, be it from clouds or haze, the time of day (when the sun angle is less than optimum) you might want to consider going at least one hundred fifty percent of what you need. (or close) I'd go with a one hundred watt panel to meet the needs of the bigger fan.

There's also a lot of trig involved with calculating sun angle and percentages of output. Math is heavy in electronics. If you're not proficient in math then I suggest you bone up on it.
Sorry to burst your bubble but the OP just wasted your time.He only wants to use the fan to achieve 101% efficiency.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
There are good people here in addition to those with poor social skills. Just saying.

With the circuit diagram set up as you have it, the fan should run. It will basically be running off the battery, which I assume is a lead-acid, car-battery type. If the solar panel does not produce enough energy to replace what is taken by the fan, then the battery will discharge, and the fan will eventually stop.

Note that it's nearly impossible to get an actual 60 watts from a panel that is rated at 60 watts. Not to scare you, but to run a 64-watt fan for 12 hours a day, you would need 3 to 5 car batteries, and about 200 watts of panel, if you live in a sunny area. If you live in a windy area, you can reduce the solar panel requirement with your wind turbine. But if your area is windy, use that natural wind for cooling, rather than running a fan. Cheaper and better.

As for driving a wind turbine with your fan, I could say that won't work, but don't take my word for it. Experiment for yourself. That's how we learn.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Sometimes the best opportunities for learning comes from ones greatest failures...
Sometimes crushing ones dreams is fun though too... :D

While the OP clearly didn't learn anything... at least you guys had fun ;)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Sometimes crushing ones dreams is fun though too... :D
Well it is one of those things that just makes my life worth getting out of bed for! :D

I may not get to do it every day but every day starts with hope and that's enough for me. :p

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
As I have stated many times on the internet now,

Those who are smart enough to figure out how to make working overunity devices are also smart enough to figure out why it's necessary to keep quiet about it. ;)

Seriously if you created a device that when properly applied could be hidden in plain site yet gives you absolute freedom to do what ever you want with near perfect anonymity for the rest to your life do you really want to instead use it to become a massively scrutinized, tracked and likely hunted celebrity who has zero privacy that has to live with the very real day to day concern that someone might want to kill you for your accomplishment? o_O

Says the guy who lives in an unassuming life near an unassuming town in the middle of nowhere that has worked far far less time in his life at real documented jobs than he has spent being inexplicably yet gainfully unemployed that pretty much does whatever he wants when he wants without ever drawing serious attention to himself. :p;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Seriously if you created a device that when properly applied could be hidden in plain site yet gives you absolute freedom to do what ever you want with near perfect anonymity for the rest to your life
I'm still watching for a Harry Potter invisibility cloak.;)

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
it just goes to show you dumb fucks will not be the 1 to create something special
Dumb fµcks?

Sorry I wasted my time. Here's my last two comments on this subject before I forever ignore you: First, learn about friction and how it affects loss of power. Second, "HERE'S YOUR BISCUIT". I shall forever no-more feed this troll!

Last edited:

Evanguy

Joined Dec 21, 2014
I already us a fan to drive my wind turbine and I am powering my whole house o
n free energy.
EDIT i though he was the OP some how, disregard this post its not directed too Colin55 any more

Nice work man. Keep that up and you will be able to power the world soon. Also a DMM will show your fan uses more power then the generator makes. and why not use a light bult over your panel to add more light to it. same as the fan blowing the generator.

Your system will run and work fine until the battery is dead. since there is more coming out then going in. but if you added another 100w panel to your project it could run alot longer

Last edited:

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Nice work man. Keep that up and you will be able to power the world soon. Also a DMM will show your fan uses more power then the generator makes. and why not use a light bult over your panel to add more light to it. same as the fan blowing the generator.

Your system will run and work fine until the battery is dead. since there is more coming out then going in. but if you added another 100w panel to your project it could run alot longer
I believe he was sarcastically joking.

Evanguy

Joined Dec 21, 2014
HAHAH i thought he was the OP. lol oops. yes i know he was joking now that i see whats going on

#12 said:
I'm still watching for a Harry Potter invisibility cloak.;)

that should go well for you,well as long as you have invisibility vision