Trying to design a circuit to indicate servo motor rpm from duty cycle output

Thespindoctor

Joined Dec 29, 2014
I have a Teknic brand servo motor which outputs a 50 Hz signal. The signal has a duty cycle proportional to rpm ranging from 0 to 1000 rpm. Thanks for any suggestions to get me going on a circuit to display rpm!

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
+1 on Brevor's suggestion. I regularly use 1ma meters marked 0-100% with a trimpot in series for calibration as a quick indicators for PWM outputs. Bought surplus for cheap. Pick a pot value that will give 1ma (or whatever your meter needs) at 100% PWM output with some adjustment for calibration. At 50hz, the meter inductance, motor back emf and needle inertia may give you all the filtering you need. If not, the suggested filter should do it.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Thespindoctor

Joined Dec 29, 2014
You could feed the speed signal into a low pass filter and drive an analog meter.
It found quite a few analog meters that measure various ranges of DC voltage. I have a 5 volt signal with duty cycle such that 100% indicates 1000 rpm. I guess I could use a DC voltmeter 0-5v range and change the text on the meter to read 0- 1000 rpm instead of DC volts? I imagine that a circuit using a 555 timer and 7 segment displays might be cheaper. Many of the analog DC meters were more expensive than I was hoping for.

Thespindoctor

Joined Dec 29, 2014
+1 on Brevor's suggestion. I regularly use 1ma meters marked 0-100% with a trimpot in series for calibration as a quick indicators for PWM outputs. Bought surplus for cheap. Pick a pot value that will give 1ma (or whatever your meter needs) at 100% PWM output with some adjustment for calibration. At 50Khz, the meter inductance and inertia will give you all the filtering you need.

Have fun.
Thanks! I did find some fairly inexpensive meters. Are the meters sealed or could take out the paper indicating 0-100% and print one of my own with rpm etc?

My electronic knowledge is very limited. Does the trimpot take the voltage down to a range that the meter can handle as well as calibrate? I have a 5 volt DC signal.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a Teknic brand servo motor which outputs a 50 Hz signal. The signal has a duty cycle proportional to rpm ranging from 0 to 1000 rpm. !
What kind of servo motor generates a 50Hz signal, where/how does it originate?
Curious.
:
I think I see, it is a ECM or Electronically commutated motor with the controller built in by the look of it.
Max.

Thespindoctor

Joined Dec 29, 2014
+1 on Brevor's suggestion. I regularly use 1ma meters marked 0-100% with a trimpot in series for calibration as a quick indicators for PWM outputs. Bought surplus for cheap. Pick a pot value that will give 1ma (or whatever your meter needs) at 100% PWM output with some adjustment for calibration. At 50hz, the meter inductance, motor back emf and needle inertia may give you all the filtering you need. If not, the suggested filter should do it.

Have fun.
What kind of servo motor generates a 50Hz signal, where/how does it originate?
Curious.
:
I think I see, it is a ECM or Electronically commutated motor with the controller built in by the look of it.
Max.
Yes, the drive is built in to the motor. I am very impressed with the motor and the documentation. I just wish they had a built in tachometer...

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Lots of small meters can pop the front off for access to the scale. Some scale plates attach with screws and can be remarked. Ive scanned the plate then used photoshop to edit and print a new one.

My example of a current meter required a 5Kohm series resistance to use with a voltage source. 5V FS/.001Amp mefer FS=5000ohms (not counting the small meter resistznce)

A voltmeter with a scale of 5v would be ideal but maybe harder to find.

Where are you located? If you sesrch for surplus electronic parts in your area you might get lucky. I bought mine for a couple of bucks each..

Thespindoctor

Joined Dec 29, 2014
I would still love to have an 8 segment display for better visibility. I read about using the ICL7107 in a voltmeter circuit. Seems like a possibility if I could multiply the voltage by 200 and display that result. Lots more work than an analog meter. Think I will stick with the simple route... Thanks for all the input! I am sure I will have more questions when I get some parts together.

Last edited:

Thespindoctor

Joined Dec 29, 2014

Thespindoctor

Joined Dec 29, 2014
Heres a cheap DPM module. You would need to search for one with a suitable supply and input range. Ive seen them in the local shops too. You would need a constant dc supply and to scale the input to 999. Other dpms may be suitable too. Much easier than rolling your own.

http://www.amazon.com/Voltmeter-3-0~30v-Digital-Display-Detector/sim/B00M50SEYC/2/ref=pd_cp_hi_sexpl[/QUOTE
Not able to find a scalable version. Can I scale with a circuit?

Also forgot that my motor is reversible. Do I need to have +/- 5v voltmeter?