trying to connect an RS232 to an LCD screen

Natsoumi

Joined Apr 2, 2009
hi,

im trying to connect an RS232 cable with an LCD screen cable.
im doing so in order to connect the RS232 cable to my microcontroller and display certain data.

i would appreciate any ideas as to how i can make the connection between the RS232 and the LCD screen cables.

Thank you in advance :)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Why don't you explain a few more things, like what microcontroller, what LCD display?
Is the RS232 cable a null modem or DTE/DCE cable?

Are you trying to communicate using the LCD's protocol, or via RS232 protocol?

Natsoumi

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Why don't you explain a few more things, like what microcontroller, what LCD display?
Is the RS232 cable a null modem or DTE/DCE cable?

Are you trying to communicate using the LCD's protocol, or via RS232 protocol?
The microcontroller im using is called Renesas M16C. My project entails reading a bitmap file from a USB flash memory stich and displaying it onto a monitor.

The thing is, i dont know much about monitors :confused:
I checked, and the make is a BENQ FP767 v2 with a 15pin D-sub connector. I dont know if this info is any help.

A big thank you to all the ppl who replied :)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I see.
You're trying to go directly from a uC to a computer video monitor that has only analog inputs.
A CNET review page for your monitor: http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/benq-fp767-12/4505-3174_7-30638486.html

The easiest way for you to get data from your uC to the monitor is to use a PC between the two. Accept serial data via a COM or USB port using the Terminal program, and have the display connected to the PC's video card.

There ARE RS-232 to SVGA adapters out there, but they are not cheap.
Here is one such adapter:
http://archive.chipcenter.com/circuitcellar/january02/c0102npn7.htm?PRINT=true
I have not used that adapter or purchased from that vendor; the link was merely an example of what might be out there. Note that the article was from January 2002; it may not even be offered anymore.