Trying to change the music played on a santa christmas decoration

LewisH

Joined Oct 26, 2022
I have a singing and dancing santa and wish to change the music that it currently plays. Ive not done anything like this before so just hoping for some advice as I can't seem to find an audio module online which clearly does what I need it to do.

currently the santa plays 5 songs each song is played individually in the same order with each press of the button. The audio module for this is included in the attachment.

I have bought a cheap audio module which came with a pre connected speaker (picture also included)

I did the following.

1.disconnected the speaker from the existing module and connect it to the new one.

2.Wired the on button onto the new module also keeping it connected to the existing module so it turns both the new and the existing module on at the same time

3. Connected the mains power again to both the new and existing module.

This was the only easy way I could see to keep the dancing movement working and change the audio.

I saved 5 audio clips the same length of time as the original audio clips on the new module so that the dancing stops as the song finishes.

It all works however there is one main issue. the audio module I have added does not have the option to play each audio file individually with each press of the on button. Instead it plays all 5 mp3 files in one go one after the other.

Can anyone recommend an audio module that will do this? Or another way of achieving what I'm trying to do?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Can anyone recommend an audio module that will do this? Or another way of achieving what I'm trying to do?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to AAC.

Yes, I can. The JR6001 module can do what you want and more. It is a bit more complicated, but if you need help working it out, just ask. It is actually very easy to use once you get the idea, and you put the music on it by plugging it into a computer where it acts like a USB drive and you simply copy them over.

It support fancy computer control but also simple buttons for playback. The method it has for deciding the meaning of the pressed button means you have to use resistors to identify them, but again—not rocket science. The link is to AliExpress and the seller I bought them from, but you might be able to source them elsewhere, I don't know.

They are so cheap you should get a few in case something goes wrong.

LewisH

Joined Oct 26, 2022
Welcome to AAC.

Yes, I can. The JR6001 module can do what you want and more. It is a bit more complicated, but if you need help working it out, just ask. It is actually very easy to use once you get the idea, and you put the music on it by plugging it into a computer where it acts like a USB drive and you simply copy them over.

It support fancy computer control but also simple buttons for playback. The method it has for deciding the meaning of the pressed button means you have to use resistors to identify them, but again—not rocket science. The link is to AliExpress and the seller I bought them from, but you might be able to source them elsewhere, I don't know.

Thanks, I've just ordered a couple. I'm assuming there's instructions of some sort included on where to place the resistors to get the desired function I need?

LewisH

Joined Oct 26, 2022
You can find some here.
Thanks for the advice these arrived this morning. Sadly I'm going to have to give up this little project. Turns out soldering small wires on a tiny little board requires good eyesight and steady hands. Something that I do not have. I might try to find a ready soldered option somewhere online so all I have to do it connect it to the power supply and speaker if not then I'll just stick with the built in sounds.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Welcome to AAC.

What duration are these capable of delivering? I see nothing in the specs

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Sadly I'm going to have to give up this little project. Turns out soldering small wires on a tiny little board requires good eyesight and steady hands. Something that I do not have.
That's a shame, Lewis. I know that there are people here with the same challenges. Maybe some of them can give you advice on workarounds, tools, and techniques to make it possible. This is a great hobby and it's just not right that you should have to give it up.

If you can't, well, you can't. But maybe can! I started a thread asking for some help. Let's see what turns up.

No matter which direction you go in, I wish you the best of luck and success, and never hesitate to come back and ask questions or contribute things you've learned.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
What duration are these capable of delivering? I see nothing in the specs
It doesn't have a fixed duration. It has a 4MB filesystem in flash. You store MP3 or WAV files in it, and the total length will depend on the format and sample rate. It works out to quite a long time. So for example, 8kbps MP3 (not high fidelity, mind you) will get you about an hour and 5 minutes; on the other end of the spectrum 320kbps MP3 will allow one minute and 40 seconds or so.

The latter is quite a long time for some applications and the quality would be very good. There is nothing stopping you from mixing sample rates like lower for speech and higher for music to optimize storage.