Troubleshooting UPS

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
The UPS of my computer doesn't working properly i.e when ever the main supply is cut off or any fluctuation in the main supply a warning tone is alerting in my UPS but all of sudden my PC switches off ..... it has been working properlyf rom past two years.... but this last three days this problem start in it.... I think the backup battery might have loses its capacity... Pls suggest ur troubleshooting ideas for this problem

thanking you

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You can pull the battery and try to recharge it with another charger. If that works, it may be the UPS charging circuit.
You may also be able to "bring back" the battery with a good charge.

If you pull the wires off the battery, wait 15 min or so, then measure the battery voltage with a meter, if you have less than 13v or so, your battery may be bad.

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
hello friend i measured the voltage of battery when Mains supply is on, meter reads 13.40V. when i removed the terminals and measured the battery voltage it only measures 12.60V... And one more thing transformer is hot i don y..?:confused: ok shall i change the battery?

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
It has been working properly for two years.. And transformer is getting too hot any problem in transformer or its a normal heat

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
How hot? Cook an egg hot, of uncomfortable to hold your finger on - hot?

You may think of trying a desulphator. Sulphation can cause the problem you are having, especially with low charging currents.

Give it a try. It may do the trick (takes a month or more) but hey, cheaper than a new battery and you dont have to throw it away.

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
ok dude thanks i will go through that article... dude one more help if u know about the UPS, UPS block dia, working of UPS and types just post the link because i learn about the UPS theoretically as well as practically...