troubleshooting Tektronix 454 scope

tonydix

Joined May 4, 2010
OK until today was working perfectly. Now today no sweep at all.
After warm up two spots can be seen. These spots can be centered both horizontally and vertically. But on every position of the time/division control does not move the trace across the screen. Also I am suspicious that some thing might be wrong in the Y circuits. Putting a 9 volt battery across the CH1 probes does not move the spot vertically. Checked the important voltages and all seem within spec.
Help with further troubleshooting would be appreciated.
Tony

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I had one back in the 90s. Good scope. You can down load the service manual off of the net for free.

What other test equipment do you have to work with?

Mark

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Possible blown fuse (or fusible resistor) feeding power to the H deflection circuitry. Gives total loss of H deflection, and can happen overnight.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
first get a manual, then check all the power supplies. power supplies have more of a chance of failure than anything else, due to being the parts closest to the outside world, lightning, surges and such.

tonydix

Joined May 4, 2010
Still trying with this beast ! The display has been 2 spots that can be moved both vertically and horizontally. But if the mode is set to chop a lopsided rectangle like a paralleogram with curved corners appears.
In other modes the beam finder will find the spot but centreing it and releasing does not show any image
The intensity control seems to ineffective but the focus seems to work.
I wonder if this gives any more clues.Thanks for any advice

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
If the dot can be moved H and V with the correct controls, then the deflection amps are working properly.

Your symptom then becomes that the input signal is not getting to the V deflection amp, and the H scan sawtooth wave is not getting to the H deflection amp.

And you have another symptom of the intensity control not working.

I still think you are dealing with the loss of a PSU rail (re my earlier post). This is likely to be a preamp PSU rail, used for signal preamp and H sawtooth osc (and/or H preamp).

It should be an easy enough thing to track down, now people have given you the manual and other tech info.

tonydix

Joined May 4, 2010
Thanks for all this help. All the power rails seem OK I have followed the calibration instructions for the -12v. +12v, +75v and EHT supplies. All seemed adjustable to the desired voltages I have the manual and it has a troubleshooting section and I have followed it as appropriate :-
check for sawtooth at pin L of A sweep board ----Seems ok
check for sawtooth at deflection plates ----------- seems ok
check A unblanking gate at TP 715 on A sweep board --- well not quite sure what to look for but there is activity that looks OK.
Check unblanking gate at TP 1349 of Z axis board ??
I can find TP 1349 but what does this mean how do I decide either yes or no ?
Again many thanks
Tony

tonydix

Joined May 4, 2010
I have made a video but no sound track plays when I try to insert it into a reply here. The video is showing a ch1 spot moving left right up and down and the same for ch2. In both cases no sweep appears whatever postion of the time control.
Moving the displayed channel to chop creates the funny rectangle with slightly rounded display you see on the screen Any help much appreciated. Tony

tonydix

Joined May 4, 2010
I dont think so.

What is interesting is I do get a single sweep as follows :-

Get a single sweep for all times fast through slow when :-
A sweep mode is moved to single sweep, B sweep mode is in either position, Atrigering can be DC or HFrej or LFrej but not AC.

Does this suggest a problem with the A sweep mode switch or its associated circuits.

Tony

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hmm, interesting.

Out of curiosity, have you opened it up yet? Curious to see if there's any visible damage to the PCBs. That's usually the next thing I do after making sure it's not just a control issue.

tonydix

Joined May 4, 2010
Yes all opened up and probing around with the only other scope I have which is a pc based hantek scope. The boards all look good no visible sign of damage. The schematic has some sample traces and I will keep probing, but I am a bit intimidated by all these feedback circuits. Thanks
Tony

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Woops, missed the part of the thread where you said you were probing it. My mistake :p

Could you take some photos of inside the scope? I haven't repaired any of this model before, so I'm curious to see what's inside.

Thanks,
Matt