Trouble wiring up LED & DC Jack to guitar fuzz pedal

Videodrome

Joined Nov 12, 2009
hi folks! I’m trying to add both an LED and a DC power jack to an older fuzz pedal circuit and i’m having a bit of trouble routing what goes to where after a few failed attempts at getting it to work. Heres the wiring diagram i am using which has been altered by me to include a power jack, battery, and the 3 extra poles on the farthest left of the stompswitch to now make it a 3DPT. Now I’m fairly certain as to the destinations of a few points already; The LED wired to the positive terminal of the power jack and the 1st terminal of the 3DPT, the positive lead of the battery snap wired to the other positive terminal on the power jack, and the wire to engage the LED from the 2nd terminal of the 3DPT switch to the negative terminal on the power jack. My question(s) is where I should wire the leads coming from the circuit originally designated for use with the battery snap now that the snap is being wired to the power jack, and what I should do with the negative lead of the battery snap. Is my current diagram in any error with my additions? Do I need to rearrange anything on the 4,5,6,7,8, and 9th terminals of the 3DPT switch now that it has been upgraded to accomidate the power and LED additions(do I do anything with the vacant 3rd terminal)? any help would be greatly appreciated in trying to get this sucker to work, i’ve troubleshot everything and am sure its somewhere between how the 2 battery leads from the circuit and the power jack (and maybe the LED) are connected. Thanks and apologies for any confusion if im not explanining myself clear enough.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
can you post the original without your alterations? It seems as if you have a few things wired wrong......

1) The ground wire from the 9 volt battery snap should be connected to the rest of the ground....

2) You are trying to "pass" the power through the LED from the jack (I think, can't tell which tab has positive or negative coming in...).... not a good way to do it....

3)Where is the ground wire from the power jack connected??

4)Can't really make heads or tails of the 3PDT switch, which way is it oriented? Which contacts make when switch is in what position?

etc....

post original schematic/circuit, and possibly part numbers and description of the parts you are adding.....

Videodrome

Joined Nov 12, 2009
Hey thanks alot bmorse. yeah, I had a feeling I was already in error with what I had wired up, especially the LED. I don't think im understanding the wiring instructionals i've been going over very well.
Heres the version of the diagram without any of my additions (no LED, no DC JACK, stomp switch remains a 6 terminal 2PDT) to get some context on how the original circuit was originally setup. I’m also gonna post an edited version of my altered diagram with all the additions(LED, DC JACK) ,but without any of the incorrect connection leads attached before. each vacant terminal on the dc jack, LED, and switch(used terminals are numbered) is given a number to correspond with a letter which is used to represent the lead that attaches to it. I’m also enclosing a diagram of the pin layouts for both the dc power jack and both the 3DPT and 2DPT switch. unfortunately, i was only able to find one datasheet from Cliff for both the 3 and 2DPT switches and neither gave me much information as to what the terminals do, they only gave me a number readout. it should be noted that on all diagrams, the components are seen from the rear as if looking into the enclosure itself and not from the front (for example, a potentiometers terminals are read left to right 3-2-1 etc).

pinouts

unaltered original diagram

altered

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
okay, took a look at things and now that I see it a bit "clearer", looks as if you may some things connected properly already, that is IF 2,5,8 on the 3PDT switch is the common for for 1,4,7 and 3,6,9.... do you have a multimeter to verify that 4 does connect to either 1 or 3 depending which position the switch is in? Another way to tell is by looking at the switch and tell me if it slides back and forth between1,4,7 and 3,6,9 or does it slide the other way between 1,2,3 and 7,8,9.

and what is the polarity orientation of the AC adapter you are using (Does it show the positive output as the ring or the center hole)? (Take a look at this thread to see why I ask about the connector >> http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=74054).

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
hmmmm, looking at it more "closely" and I believe the way you are trying to wire it will not work with a 3PDT switch, since the original switch I believe is used to switch between 2 different effects... so in one setting power will be on, but when you switch to the other effect, you will turn the power off...... You may have to just keep the 2PDT switch the way it is and just add the power plug and LED without a switch.... or add an extra switch for power....