Trolling Motor Help

Joined Nov 14, 2010
The trolling motor was given to me to put on a dam/bait boat that I am building, the motor is missing the top of the entire motor,I think the motor is a Motor guide but not sure,My question is as follows, What wires must I connect together to get the motor to go in reverse,I will install a toggle switch to turn the motor off/on and to put the motor into reverse

Will appreciate help from anyone.

Attachments

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Do you have any idea what the brand or model number is?

The only wire that looks to be heavy enough gauge to run the full current of the motor is the red one, assuming the spade connectors are the standard automotive size.

Do you have a DMM?

Has anybody gotten it to run in the present condition before it ended up in your hands?

Joined Nov 14, 2010
I placed the black wire on the Neg side of a battery and the red wire on the Pos. side the motor runs at high speed but I would like to know what wires to connect to place the motor in reverse. I will place a toggle switch on it to turn the motor off/on/reverse,the switch will be controlled by a servo and a controller from an airplane. I think the motor is a motorguide brand name.

Joined Nov 14, 2010
Attached is a diagram in PDF format, best thing I could come up with.

It shows the wires connecting to a rotary switch, but not what connects inside the switch for different speeds.
Yep that is my problem I saw the illustration on the rotary switch but I could not tell what post the wires connected is it blue to yellow, or white to green,many combinations to worry about.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Contact the manufacturer for a "replacement switch" and reverse engineer it, or maybe stop by the local boat shop to see if they know what the connections are?

I'm out of ideas, maybe somebody else here has experience with this particular unit.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Hi Top, That unit looks like one i have home, The red & black wires are for the motor & the other colours run dowm to resistance wires coiled arouind the inside of the motor housing (water cooled) The controll switch reverses the polarity of the red / black wires. Will be able to get back to this prob in a couple of days if there is no other help. Daryl

Joined Nov 14, 2010
Hi Top, That unit looks like one i have home, The red & black wires are for the motor & the other colours run dowm to resistance wires coiled arouind the inside of the motor housing (water cooled) The controll switch reverses the polarity of the red / black wires. Will be able to get back to this prob in a couple of days if there is no other help. Daryl
Garyl, The problem I have is trying to figure witch wires placed together will reverse the trolling motor,I would like to install an off/on/Reverse Toggle switch I would like to use the motor on a Dam/bait boat.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Hi Top, First pic is the orig wiring & switch of a Water snake elect OB looks simmilar. Second pic is how you would wire up a double pole double throw switch for reversing the motor, the thick red & black wires are the motor wires. The battery power is fed into the center terminals (where the blue & red spade terminals are. Hope this is a help. Daryl ( The terminals should preferably be insulated type)

Attachments