Triky question on resistance

bwd111

Joined Jul 24, 2013
Device the resistance to current decreases when temp increases. Im saying resistor cause I know its right but why would thermistor not be right as well?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I have no idea what you just asked.

As for thermistor part. It is designed to change the resistance with temperature.
Standard resistors do not change with temperature but only slightly. Sometimes negligible.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Nearly all common types of resistor exhibit increasing resistance as temperature increases.

This is the principle behind the correct functioning of a tungsten electric light bulb as a prime example.

So your component is not a resistor.

Do you know any other types of resistive component besides a thermistor (which it may be) ?

http://www.barthelectronics.com/pdf...1 Voltage Coefficient Products_Pulse Page.pdf

Last edited:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
"Some increase and some decrease. Is there a question? "

Carbon resistors
have several different forms. One is a mixture of ceramic powder and fine carbon granules held together with a resin type of glue. This has pretty much been discontinued since the advent of modern printed circuit boards where space is at a premium. The type most used these days is a small ceramic base on which a resistive pattern has been deposited. In both cases, the ceramic base is non conducting whereas the carbon forms a current carrying path; the more carbon, the less the resistance.
This type of carbon has a negative thermal coefficient, i.e. the higher the temperature, the lower the resistivity. Its value depends on the details of the form of carbon but often is about -0.0005/°C near room temperature . So if you heat a 1000 Ω resistor by 10 °C then it will have a resistance of 1000 Ω *(1-0.0005*10) = 995 Ω.

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=18564

bwd111

Joined Jul 24, 2013
I have no idea what you just asked.

As for thermistor part. It is designed to change the resistance with temperature.
Standard resistors do not change with temperature but only slightly. Sometimes negligible.
Here is the re-word A device whose resistance to current decreases when its temp increases is called

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Here is the re-word A device whose resistance to current decreases when its temp increases is called
What kind of "devices" are fair game as an answer? Remember, we have absolutely no clue as to the context associated with this question.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A thermistor whose resistance decreases with temperature is called a negative temperature coefficient (NTC) thermistor.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You gotta read what the op is trying to say.
He means "resistance to the flow of current"
which is the same as simply saying "resistance".

bwd111

Joined Jul 24, 2013
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about...! :confused:
That is how the question was written on the board at school word for word and people were answering the question. Guess you had to be there? The correct answer was a resistor

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I did AND that wasn't one of the choices . choices were -rectifier,transistor, resistor ot thermistor
It would have been really nice to have mentioned this list, particularly after I specifically asked

What kind of "devices" are fair game as an answer? Remember, we have absolutely no clue as to the context associated with this question.
Sheesh.

As several people have been trying to lead you towards, the most reasonable answer (particularly of those given) is thermistor. While all resistors have a temperature coefficient (some positive and some negative), this is not by design by rather a fact of life. A thermistor, on the other hand, is a resistor that is specifically intended to have a large temperature coefficient. Some have positive temperature coefficients and others have negative temperature coefficients.

So neither answer is truly correct for the question as asked, but thermistor is, in my opinion, the better one.