Triangle with circle around it symbol?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The constant current symbol is NOT some sort of component. It is a mathematical abstraction.

However, you can build real world current sinks and sources. This symbol no doubt is chunking together several devices to make the main circuit function clearer.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Should be? After all the variations on "should be" that I have seen, it seems lucky enough that there is a pointy thing and a circle. In the long term, you are going to learn many ways that people in other countries do not conform to what you (or I) thinks, "should be". You just have to roll with whatever comes your way.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Ok the circle is not there all the time, but I was rather trying to hint at the arrow symbol being the main part, in the way that it is not the triangle that matters but the arrow that it is part of.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, kubeek. I just couldn't resist explaining the difference between, "the expected" and, "reality".

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
An LED would make for a very bad circuit. Definitely a constant current source in this drawing. Not drawn exactly correct but reasonably obvious from my point of view.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
An LED would make for a very bad circuit. Definitely a constant current source in this drawing. Not drawn exactly correct but reasonably obvious from my point of view.
That's why beginners come here. If you have years of experience, you can figure out what it's supposed to mean, as long as there are only a few mysterious symbols on a drawing. Without that experience, you doubt yourself so much that you have to ask somebody.

That happened to me yesterday. I'm working on cast iron sewer pipes and one of them is clogged so badly and so deeply that I began to doubt myself. Maybe it's just a, "stub" in the concrete to support the weight of the iron vent pipe going through the roof? I had to ask a, "real" plumber if that was what I was looking at.

ps, It turned out that it really is the drain, but I can't imagine how it got a clog more than a foot thick before the customer called for help. That thing must have been stacking water in the vent pipe (to the roof) for years, and slowly draining through the clog between dishwasher runs.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
ps, It turned out that it really is the drain, but I can't imagine how it got a clog more than a foot thick before the customer called for help. That thing must have been stacking water in the vent pipe (to the roof) for years, and slowly draining through the clog between dishwasher runs.
How do you think the customer got his backyard fountain?:p

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
That's why beginners come here. If you have years of experience, you can figure out what it's supposed to mean, as long as there are only a few mysterious symbols on a drawing. Without that experience, you doubt yourself so much that you have to ask somebody.
I understand inexperienced OPs and have no problem with that, my comment about "reasonably obvious" was directed at the person who was saying something about an LED just to add confusion to an already clarified situation. I just looked and discovered that comment has been deleted. Now I look like the idiot talking about LEDs!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Would that be post #7 by wayneh? I can still see that post.
Maybe it was but I read it now and I see he is just throwing out the fact that the symbol is poorly drawn and, as such, could be mistaken for an LED. I must have been grumpy and tired when I took it as, "why is that guy trying to confuse the OP by saying it could be an LED!" I always said I would never become a grumpy old man but I am not so sure anymore.