Triangle Wave Generator

rueffy

Joined Jun 29, 2013
Hi All,

I am in the process of designing a PWM comms system that drives a LASER light with the receiver being an LDR circuit some distance away. I am having a bit of trouble getting a reliable triangle wave output from an oscillator circuit that I am using.

The circuit

The formula

Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 11.00.56 AM.jpg

My circuit interface requirements are thus,

The final PWM output must have a 3vp-p output to conform to the LASER operating voltage. The Triangle Wave must be around 10kHz in frequency, this meets the requirement of the reference wave being at least double the highest frequency of the information (3400Hz for voice). I'm not sure what the Vpp requirements of the triangle wave should be in order to match this circuit. I'm not sure if its even relevant, it will be summed with the modulation waveform using a circuit I am yet to determine (perhaps a simple resistive network using DC blocking capacitor at output of oscillator).

Basically, the problem I am having is choosing appropriate resistance and capacitance values. I have achieved a 12kHz output on a breadboard but the triangle wave is distorted during the negative going ramp. I am not set on this circuit so if you know of any alternatives that are simpler please suggest them.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Rueffy.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Which op amp are you using? The circuit is designed for a split power supply. If using a 9 volt battery, you will need a buffered virtual ground at 1/2Vcc.

rueffy

Joined Jun 29, 2013
Using 741 op-amps, as for R and C values that's what my question was regarding. Was considering running of a 9v battery - can you please explain the buffered virtual ground concept or alternatively is there another circuit that utilises single-rail op-amps?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The 741 opamp is not a single supply opamp. besides being VERY outdated. The simple solution. Add another 9 volt supply for negetive power supply. +/- 9 volt is a good supply voltage for the 741 type opamp